IFR Aircraft Advice

Mudhen

Re: IFR Aircraft Advice

Post by Mudhen »

I’ve always been a firm believer of developing hands-on flying using a basic 6-pack before relying on the autopilot.
Although the particulars for trimming a r/w airplane differ from sims, the “mindset” for trimming is still valid. Using the sim, one can develop checklist habits, approach briefs, call-outs, crosscheck, division of time, priority of duties, control and performance concept, upset recovery, etc., all the while learning to maintain aircraft control within the specified limits, (airspeed, heading, altitude.) Properly formed, these habits will carry over and can be adapted into real world flying; although the “feel” will differ.
My personal opinion is to learn to properly control the airplane before using the A/P to control the airplane.
This space intentionally left blank
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Have to agree with Mudhen on this one. I don't have issues trimming out aircraft in xplane.
sellener777

Post by sellener777 »

In my experience with R/W students and sims is they get easily frustrated with "it doesnt feel like an airplane," and "its to sensitive."

And they are right to a degree.

Its difficult to convince a student or person to spend enough time on the sim to get comfortable handflying. Not to mention handflying and talking to ATC with no visual reference with a ever changing mission ( multiple random approaches, deviations to alternates....ect)

But.....

If u can get someone to understand they have to put some time in on the new aircraft (the sim) before u can derive all the benefits, u really have put them in a powerful position to succeed.

I have flown single pilot IFR in solid IMC in a safe but ratty twin commanche (no autopilot)) that likes to turn to the left when left alone. I can say that handflying a sim under solid IMC while negotiating with ATC comes close to the real thing as it pertains to workload and task saturation.

Once u get comfortable with ur unique yoke and trim setup, It takes about the same muscle/brain power to trim the sim va trim the twin commanche in my opinion.

You wouldnt take someone that is proficient in a glass 182, throw them in a 6 pack lancair and expect them to perform well under IMC ina busy airspace with no time in type. They need several hours getting used to the new sights/smells/feels.

I would encourage people to spend enough time on the sim to get its differences figured out and then derive huge rewards from the level of proficiency you can gain and maintain.
sellener777

Post by sellener777 »

Almost forgot:

Using the autopilot to get procedures and checklists and what not ironed out is a great idea! But from a R/W proficiency standpoint set ur goal on handflying in 0/0 vis down to mins with ATC changes and emergencies ect......

Fail the vacuum and fly multiple approaches under 0/0 with partial panel.

Of course if we are using sims as recreation do whatever is fun.

But with the texhnology out there these days there really is no excuse to be anything less than sharp in a real airplane.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

IMC in X-Plane 10 is just about the most frightening thing I've seen, next to a real estate mogul running for President...

(ducking)
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
garryd

Post by garryd »

Nice and useful advice on IFR Aircraft.
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

First things first and what most CFII's do on your first real world IFR training is flying the airplane in specific maneuvers to obtain MP and RPM settings on the various phases of IFR flight.

Climbing and descending turns are by far the toughest to do when flying in actual IFR weather. Knowing the correct power settings helps when you are busy dealing with other stuff inside the cockpit.

I have attached a photo of something I did with my CFII on several of my first lessons. There are several ways that you can change up this training to include climbing and descending turns into the cruise section of the pattern work.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

I'll just leave this here:

And for the record no this wasn't used for initial IFR training, but for more advanced training.

But what John says is correct, IFR patterns are the way to go to start IFR training.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net