First weekend with PE

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
carguy4471

First weekend with PE

Post by carguy4471 »

I finally decided to sign up. Started my service on friday.

Jumped right in and did my V1,2,3 and my I1,2,3 already. I'm hooked, PE is amazing!

I guess I'm not as rusty as I thought, lol. Can't wait to finish my ratings now!
Vincent Meier

Re: First weekend with PE

Post by Vincent Meier »

Hello carguy4471,
Welcome to PE!!
You are rockin' the ratings!!

You should tell us a bit more about yourself in the pilot introductions under the GENERAL forum. It seems like you have some flying experience under your belt. We would love to hear about it.

Vince
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

Vincent Meier wrote:Hello carguy4471,
Welcome to PE!!

You should tell us a bit more about yourself in the pilot introductions under the GENERAL forum. It seems like you have some flying experience under your belt. We would love to hear about it.

Vince
Took your advise on the intro there Vincent. Sorry 'bout that!! :D
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

carguy4471 wrote:
Vincent Meier wrote:Hello carguy4471,
Welcome to PE!!

Vince
Took your advise on the intro there Vincent. Sorry 'bout that!! :D
Hi carguy4471,
Doing a pilot introduction is not required, I did not mean to infer that it was necessary to do it. I just thought that since you were ripping through the ratings that you might already have your PPL(which I see you do). It is just nice to know all the experience levels we have on the network.

So what I am trying to say is that there is no need to be sorry - no harm no foul either way!!
Enjoy your time on PE - We all do!!

Vince
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

Thanks Vince!! I appreciate the welcome. I really haven't had the opportunity to fly much over the years and really thought I'd be rough and needing a great deal of practice. I did certainly need some brush up but I am finding the proficiency comes back fast. The next few "I" ratings will start to test my skills for sure. This network is fantastic though, it is every bit as real as flying with real ATC. I've bobbled a couple times, but just minor things.

I flew the V ratings with an A2A 172 and had damage turned on. Somehow had a damaged aileron on my V2 and had to land with mostly rudder. Left hand pattern and I only had about 10% left aileron. Quickly turned damage OFF on that aircraft, lol. Pretty sloppy base and final turn on that test but the 172 got planted right where it belonged so it turned out ok. Was a bit of a nail biter though.
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

carguy4471 wrote: I flew the V ratings with an A2A 172 and had damage turned on. Somehow had a damaged aileron on my V2 and had to land with mostly rudder. Left hand pattern and I only had about 10% left aileron.
If only A2A simulated using the doors to turn. My instructor and I tried that just for fun once. Works better than you would think.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

carguy4471 wrote: The next few "I" ratings will start to test my skills for sure.
You are about to start getting into TEC and Mandatory routing. Two sites that are going to help with that:

1. http://myflightroute.com
2. https://www.fly.faa.gov/rmt/nfdc_prefer ... tabase.jsp

Always good to see if there is a mandatory route between your departure and arrival airport. If there is one, ATC is going to assign you it anyways.
Kyle Sanders
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

I did the I3, so I have one tech route under my belt and have been dabbling today on the sites you listed. I think I'm pretty comfortable with them. You just need to plug in your airports and make sure you pick the correct version of the route for your aircraft. Flying with a GTN 750 makes flying them a wee too easy. :D
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Agreed. But many will make the mistake of choosing a route per their aircraft type and miss the notes completely.

CSTN9 vs CSTN11
Is SNA to SMO airport.

Only difference is if LAX airport is running East Ops (LAXE).
You will see some file CSTN11, pilot plans that and prepares their aircraft Nav systems (even though they shouldn't until getting the clearance), and then ATC gives them CSTN9.
Kyle Sanders
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

Put the I4 under my belt last night as well. Was given KSMA to KSBA. Just as you mentioned, two routes for different LAX traffic. I pulled it off though. Now on to I5.