First Orbx SCA airport is on final

twharrell

First Orbx SCA airport is on final

Post by twharrell »

It appears acclaimed Orbx developer Misha Cajic will be the first out of the gate with a new SoCal airport, and if I am not mistaken, it is a favorite of a certain PE CEO.

Check it out:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/ ... t-for-sca/
Regards,

Todd
Ryan B

Re: First Orbx SCA airport is on final

Post by Ryan B »

Sweet, but I'd love if they'd address the performance issues with SCA before releasing airports.

I did not purchase SCA because of the user reports. And these are coming from people with much more powerful PC's than me!

You probably beta'd it and I understand it can be difficult to be objective when you're a tester - but I like Orbx in general. I already have many addon airports for socal and I really couldn't stand much less performance than I already get.

Though I applaud them for picking an airport pretty far from the fray hehe. And Misha does amazing job with the airport quality - I own a few of his.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

Ryan, I don't have a top of the line machine at home and have good performance in P3D. LA and San Diego can certainly slow things down but I set my autogen to normal (which is plenty adequate) and be careful with road traffic and AI and do just fine. I did a shared cockpit flight in the Q400 out of FSDT LAX in SCA during testing and actually had my sliders on dense and never got a stutter. I'm running a GTX 770 by the way.

Oh, and no longer beta testing. SCA was my last hurrah. Life is just too busy with #3 on the way. I know you can sympathize with that!
Regards,

Todd
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Well that's promising - I already run zero ai traffic

Normal AG - bah pretty low - but it is a flightsim right?

Maybe after they do a SP I'll look into it more
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Try this as a frame killer:

Load up at KSNA for a practice ILS approach with an alternate to KLGB and let them know that you'll go missed as published, then go to the alternate with vectors to the ILS RWY 30 approach.

That will give you enough time to load in/out some scenery and take you by the smokestacks and cranes at the Port of Long Beach. That will cut your frames in half.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Thomas_Horn

Post by Thomas_Horn »

...agree with the performance issues which I think mainly comes from the upgraded airports in the LA/SD region. There are just too many 3D objects around...might be better in P3D V3 but in FSX even with a 4.5 GHz machine I had 20 FPS and below on some airports.
I reverted back to FTX Global with Ultimate terrain USA and a good mesh...gives acceptable visuals, corret streets and landmarks etc and framerate always at 30 FPS locked with autogen on very dense. The major airports which are not available as payware I started to upgrade myself with a program called Instant Scenery. Just a few parking airplanes and some vehicles...gives a nice realistic feeling.
X-Plane 11.32, Windows 10, 4.8 GHz 7700K, 16 GB RAM. 4K 55'' Screen resolution with Nvidia GTX 1070. ELITE and PFC flight controls
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

I am using P3Dv3, so perhaps there is a difference...perhaps not, I don't know. Every machine and sim setup is different. That being said, LA and San Diego are dense autogen areas with busy airports seemingly every 1-2 NM. I honestly don't watch FPS in P3D anymore as, in my experience at least, it doesn't correlate with smoothness all that much. I've had smooth flights only to discover my FPS reading was in the teens. Go figure. So I don't watch it any more. I also try to deactivate any 3rd party addon airports I don't need, even if I happen to be flying over them enroute.

All that being said, there are many ways to make SOCal look good - lots of good options out there.

Todd
Regards,

Todd