Let's talk about the PilotEdge Expansion!

emm386

Re: Let's talk about the PilotEdge Expansion!

Post by emm386 »

This is a very exciting list of airports. If the issue of satellite airports is still up for debate, I think including a few would have a lot of benefit for PE and its users. My suggestion is for each of the proposed additional airports to include coverage for any satellite airports that lie partially or completely under the shelf of the primary airport. For example KAPA and KBJC at KDEN. This would provide a lot of benefits.

Benefits to PE GA pilots:
Obviously, ability to conduct local operations in our home Deltas while flying in areas closer to home around/under/through Charlies and Bravos that are already staffed.

Benefits to PE ATP pilots:
Having to contend with GA traffic around these airports is a reality, but usually there aren't too many Cessnas doing pattern work at our Bravo airports. Encouraging GA presence at these additional airports and/or doing transitions through the airspace might improve the realism (cringe?).

Benefits to PE's bottom line:
If GA pilots are able to conduct some meaningful/realistic operations in these areas many more (including me) would likely upgrade to the service. Hopefully enough to cover the cost/burden of getting the (thus far excellent) controllers set up with a few more airspaces. Maybe more flight schools (and there are a lot at the satellites) would sign up as commercial clients with their Redbirds if they had home coverage (but that's admittedly pure speculation).

Other than the additional controller burden, the other major argument against expansion to select satellites would be diffusing the GA traffic, but I would argue that keeping the PE ratings all in the SoCal area will encourage most GA flights to stay in ZLA, so the diffusion and the burden should be pretty low.

I'm not sure how many towered fields are in fact below the proposed expansion fields, but I can't imagine more than 2 or 3 per?

Just 2 cents, great service, and looking forward to the news,

Eric @ KPDX (but actually KVUO)
grimmdgg

Post by grimmdgg »

Is there any non-binding, legally deniable guestimation about when the expansion is going to take place? Status?
David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert »

Last word was they were waiting for info from the FAA.
Normal call sign: N8295L or TPX
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Speculation: I've heard new voices on the scopes, so maybe some newbies have been hired for the future expansion!
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

grimmdgg wrote:Is there any non-binding, legally deniable guestimation about when the expansion is going to take place? Status?
I'm saying this with a bit of tongue in cheek and I will do so with no insider knowledge.

Asking this question is like asking the Cubbies when they will win a world series. The only difference is that the expansion will happen. For the Cubbies sake, who knows?
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Something to do while we wait is to try some flights in and out of the new areas to get familiar with the procedures.

TBH, it is really is easy to start on an outside area departure and fly into the PE coverage area or vise versa...KDEN has some really interesting STAR's
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

We've done all we can with the data that we have. The FAA missed their most recent deadline for delivering to us the information we have requested, but Peter is in communication with them and the data is being processed and will be sent to us soon.

While it's frustrating to have to deal with numerous unexpected delays, I'm still pleased with the decision to let people know that the expansion was in the works. We knew the jet community has been needing this for quite some time. The minute we actually receive all the data, we'll have a better idea of the specific launch date.

The good news is, we do have complete data for one small section of the expansion, so we may have some special events coming up in the near future as a teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8TUwHTfOOU
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Ahhh back when cartoons were of high quality!

I guess we're going to Eh Bee Cue
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
kullery

Post by kullery »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1765UzjAQxI
WEIRD AL YANKOVIC wrote:......That's right, a first class one-way ticket to

Albuquerque
Albuquerque

Oh yeah
You know, I'd never been on a real airplane before
And I gotta tell ya, it was really great
Except that I had to sit between two large Albanian women with excruciatingly severe body odor
And the little kid in back of me kept throwin' up the whole time
The flight attendants ran out of Dr. Pepper and salted peanuts
And the in-flight movie was Bio-Dome with Pauly Shore
And, oh yeah, three of the airplane engines burned out
And we went into a tailspin and crashed into a hillside
And the plane exploded in a giant fireball and everybody died
Except for me
You know why?

'Cause I had my tray table up
And my seat back in the full upright position
Had my tray table up
And my seat back in the full upright position
Had my tray table up
And my seat back in the full upright position.......
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Herbumus

Post by Herbumus »

Happy New Year, Keith.

Never wanna be a pest but I've been watching this forum sit quiet for awhile now. Just wondering.... Are there still plans for the afore mentioned expansion? Any updates you can share?

Thanks so much for all the hard work you and your team of professionals do to keep everyone safe in the friendly skies of Southern California!

Herb