Remote Coaching now available

Keith Smith

Remote Coaching now available

Post by Keith Smith »

For those who are interested in working live, one on one with a high quality instructor, PilotEdge now offers the Remote Coaching program. Choose from existing pre-packaged courses or build your very own training program, lesson by lesson.

There are packages for VFR and IFR pilots, walkthroughs of the I-Ratings and even a chance to go through the new VFR ratings before they're released to the public (yes, they are next on the list!)

Remote Coaching overview

Remote Coaching course list
schwed

Re: Remote Coaching now available

Post by schwed »

This is really great.
Would I be able to log (sim) instrument time if using a
BTD (Flythissim) towards an instrument rating?
Daniel Schwed
Private, Instrument - ASEL
PE - N143SB
Cirrus SR20 - N143SB - KLOM
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Since we're not physically present to verify your ID or sign a logbook, I doubt it's possible, but we can look into it.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

At $40/hour for Peter's time a-la-carte this looks like a great value and something that I can really use while working up to the PPL. Right now, I'm considering some things I know I'm weak in like understanding weather, course corrections for wind, ded reckoning (sp?) and more. Will a syllabus of the CAT courses be published at some point? Would Peter be up for things like basic maneuvers like turns around a point or such? I know the "feel" won't be there but the value of an instructor of his caliber without the $100/hr aircraft rental is a home run.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
schwed

Post by schwed »

Imagine the savings of being able to actually log time on a basic training device..... I did the math and for my instrument ticket it represents about 3000 dls in savings. That's if there was a way to log the time.

For a PPL, I personally wouldn't bother trying to do maneuvers on a sim. That's something that must be done on a real plane.
However, I found it very useful and cost effective to practice dead reckoning and pilotage, cross country planning and of course, communications and getting a deep understanding of the airspace. It saved me a lot of money!
Daniel Schwed
Private, Instrument - ASEL
PE - N143SB
Cirrus SR20 - N143SB - KLOM
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

schwed wrote:Imagine the savings of being able to actually log time on a basic training device..... I did the math and for my instrument ticket it represents about 3000 dls in savings. That's if there was a way to log the time.

For a PPL, I personally wouldn't bother trying to do maneuvers on a sim. That's something that must be done on a real plane.
However, I found it very useful and cost effective to practice dead reckoning and pilotage, cross country planning and of course, communications and getting a deep understanding of the airspace. It saved me a lot of money!
Sounds like sage advice. I'm going to pull a couple of manuals and see what I can figure out.

Keith - would we be able to sit with Peter on a paid session and just talk PPL training strategy and come up with a sim/real world training plan?
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve,

The CAT ratings walk through flights are eluded to in the course listing. Peter will walk through the flights in detail with you as part of the program. As for sitting with Peter to come up with a strategy, yes, that is spirit of the custom training option.

The custom hourly rate is higher than the effective hourly rate for the pre-packaged courses. This is by design and provides and incentive to utilize those packaged courses where it makes sense.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Hello,

To close the loop on the "can we log it discussion" the following FAR section (61.65 H) makes that impossible:

61.65 covers training requirements for an instrument rating. H is requirements to use an "aviation training device" towards the requirements.
(2) An authorized instructor provides the instrument time in the device;
And
(4) A view-limiting device was worn by the applicant when logging instrument time in the device; and
I won't be "in the device" nor will there be a way for me to verify number 4 is done therefore we can't log the time. There are also TSA implications to that as well.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
fabriciofigueroa

Post by fabriciofigueroa »

Please do look into it to see if you can log it as instrument time in a sim. Gleim Ground School Programs do provide their far away online customers with a written endorsement to go and take the written tests so I don't see how that varies from PE certifying instruction without being present to verify ID and stuff.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Please do look into it to see if you can log it as instrument time in a sim. Gleim Ground School Programs do provide their far away online customers with a written endorsement to go and take the written tests so I don't see how that varies from PE certifying instruction without being present to verify ID and stuff.
See my last post, unfortunately it's not possible. Remotely endorsing someone for a written test and logging time in a sim are very different things to the FAA.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net