type and clearence

Jari Junior

type and clearence

Post by Jari Junior »

I have some questions about the ac type. Here in Brazil we don't use this kind of information, yes, I know, different rules. But i'm trying to understand when and how can I use this information to talk with atc. As far I understand (correct me if i'm wrong which i'm sure wrong I am), I should use the type+callsign when using GA aircrafts mostly. But let me explain why i'm getting confused: Flying a piper cub, I always use "Piper Cub N3037S" but in almost all cases, controllers call me "N3037S" only. Also, what ac type should I use for uncommon aircraft like a Piel Emeraude? Should I use only the aircraft callsign (reg or Emeraude+registration?

Also, regarding clearences.. at KSDM (Brown) i'm requesting vfr to ground and not for clearence delivery, am I doing it wrong? Thanks in advance.
N2897M

Re: type and clearence

Post by N2897M »

In regards to the clearance question. In the real world environment for a VFR flight I always just contact ground and there has never been a problem, on PE however it seems that if there is a clearance delivery freq on the chart/airport layout then use the clearance delivery freq to request your VFR clearance. In my over 1,000 hours of flight time in VFR conditions I never used clearance delivery freq until joining PE.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

N2897M wrote:on PE however it seems that if there is a clearance delivery freq on the chart/airport layout then use the clearance delivery freq to request your VFR clearance.
Not quite. At the class bravo and charlie airports, use the clearance frequency for all VFR departures (with the exception of closed traffic). If you're at a delta, just request any flight following request from ground control when you call for taxi.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
N2897M

Post by N2897M »

Yeah, thats what I basically meant,

However,I did all my flying out of Sarasota and Ft Myers, Class C,For VFR flights I never contacted Clearance, everytime it was to Ground, per the instructions of every FI I had, , and I was never told to contact Clearance delivery from Ground control. And I did that for years

Anyway, good to learn new things, I wish PE was around when I was learning
Jari Junior

Post by Jari Junior »

kevin meyers wrote: If you're at a delta, just request any flight following request from ground control when you call for taxi.
Thank you my friend.
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

Jari Junior wrote:Flying a piper cub, I always use "Piper Cub N3037S" but in almost all cases, controllers call me "N3037S" only. Also, what ac type should I use for uncommon aircraft like a Piel Emeraude? Should I use only the aircraft callsign (reg or Emeraude+registration?
In the U.S., aircraft are expected to address themselves using a prefix followed by the tail number. Acceptable prefixes include the make (Piper), the model (Cub), or November. If a prefix other than November is used, do not include November with the tail number.

Acceptable examples include "Cub 3037S," "Piper 3037S," or "November 3037S."

An abbreviated call sign such as "Cub 37S," "Piper 37S," or "November 37S" is acceptable but only after the controller has addressed you that way.

Please see Aeronautical Information Manual, 4-2-4, for further details.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
Jari Junior

Post by Jari Junior »

thank you.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

N2897M wrote: However,I did all my flying out of Sarasota and Ft Myers, Class C,For VFR flights I never contacted Clearance, everytime it was to Ground, per the instructions of every FI I had, , and I was never told to contact Clearance delivery from Ground control. And I did that for years
Some Class C's want VFR deps to contact clearance, but many do not. You must've trained at facilities that didn't require it. It's one of the view procedures that seems to vary wildly among Class C airports.
N2897M

Post by N2897M »

Keith Smith wrote:
N2897M wrote: However,I did all my flying out of Sarasota and Ft Myers, Class C,For VFR flights I never contacted Clearance, everytime it was to Ground, per the instructions of every FI I had, , and I was never told to contact Clearance delivery from Ground control. And I did that for years
Some Class C's want VFR deps to contact clearance, but many do not. You must've trained at facilities that didn't require it. It's one of the view procedures that seems to vary wildly among Class C airports.
Thanks Keith for the explanation
Jari Junior

Post by Jari Junior »

thanks for tue information