Flight Following & ATC

Mark Hargrove

Flight Following & ATC

Post by Mark Hargrove »

OK, I've gotten a little fuzzy. Outside of Class B or C airspace, would the TRACON ever be issuing vectors or altitudes to a VFR aircraft (other than for traffic alert or low altitude alert situations -- I mean just normal, everyday vectors or altitude assignments like an IFR aircraft might be given)?

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Anthony Santanastaso

Re: Flight Following & ATC

Post by Anthony Santanastaso »

Hi Mark,

If a lateral vector were to be issued, it would be "suggested" as a possibility, but the pilot would have the ultimate say as to what they can and want to do. As far as altitudes, in my experience, it is a little more common, depending on the complexity of the airspace, to receive "at or below" or "at or above" instructions for a particular stretch of space. This may come as a matter of convenience to the controller in order to better manage your position in relation to their IFR flows.

I had a conversation with Keith about this very subject a short while back. It seems as though I have been a bit skewed by my home airspace, N90. It is VERY common to receive lateral and vertical vectors as a VFR aircraft, most usually when in the immediate proximity to either the three major Bravo's or the ISP Class C. For example, if I were receiving traffic advisories in the south shore practice area and then wanted to head into ISP for touch and go's, I would be told to fly a particular heading as a vector to be sequenced into the pattern, and then handed off to ISP Tower. Or, when receiving flight following from any airport to/from FRG and flying in and around the vicinity of HPN, it is common to be giving a hard or variable altitude in order to avoid the jet traffic either heading into or out of HPN or LGA.

We tried to research a definitive answer to this question and I remember not being able to find a hard and set solution. But, when I observed the many conversations about this subject in StuckMic (a professional ATC forum comprised mostly of developmentals, CPC's, retired controllers, and learned enthusiasts), the general gist was that you should generally avoid hard vectors but when it comes to separating aircraft within your scope, you do what's necessary at the time (of course, observing the MVA, WX limitations, etc.).
Last edited by Anthony Santanastaso on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony Santanastaso
PilotEdge ATCS
Private Pilot ASEL
Twitch broadcasts: Archived | Live
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

Some Class E is associated with a Class C Outer Area, where participating VFR aircraft are separated with vectors and altitudes routinely.

In regular Class E, it is less likely but certainly happens. It's not something a pilot should expect, but so long as the instruction does not cause the pilot to violate a reg, compliance with it is mandatory under 14 CFR 91.123.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
jx_

Post by jx_ »

Yes, VFR may be vectored or assigned altitude restrictions. The pilot must maneuver as needed to maintain VFR and remain outside of airspace that requires a clearance (notify the controller if this happens).

It all depends on local procedures. For example, VFR aircraft are routinely vectored at airports where traffic sequencing is done by approach.

Altitude assignments are much more common and random, but are commonly used to keep VFR out of adjacent airspace.

Reference:

5-6-1 Vector aircraft operating VFR at those locations where a special program is established, or when a pilot requests, or you suggest and the pilot concurs.

7-6-1-4 Basic radar services for VFR aircraft must include sequencing at locations where procedures have been established for this purpose and/or when covered by a LOA.

7-6-1-5 Basic radar services for VFR aircraft must include the procedures contained in para 7−1−3, Approach Control Service for VFR Arriving Aircraft, when arriving VFR aircraft are handled by approach control and provide vectoring service in accordance with Chapter 5, Radar, Section 7, Speed Adjustment, in addition to the radar services prescribed in para 5−6−1, Application, and para 5−6−2, Methods.
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

I give heading assignments to VFR traffic commonly... I work a tracon that serves a class D airport. When assigning an altitude I say maintain "vfr at 3,200" as an example
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL