Let's talk about the PilotEdge Expansion!

Peter Grey

Re: Let's talk about the PilotEdge Expansion!

Post by Peter Grey »

Hey guys!! Just checking in to see if there is any progress on this!? I see the new area map and I have been dying to try out flying from some of these new airports!!
FAA data continues to slowly trickle in so development is continuing. We are still missing a lot of data relating to our radar screen display so we still don't have a launch date estimate.

Expect to see a couple more "preview" events in the not to distant future.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
nigelmcelwee

Post by nigelmcelwee »

sweet, thanks Peter! Looking forward to it for sure! Cant wait to try out these new areas.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'll repeat my post from Feb 28 in case anyone missed it :)
We've gotten some additional data back, but not all of it. They've missed the deadline so many times at this point, there's not much point in sharing their estimations of when it's going to be ready. There is some evidence, though, that they have actually been able to collect the data from the various facilities and are now sorting through the outstanding items. As soon as we have something remotely concrete regarding a launch date, we will absolutely post it....in several locations. It'll be hard to miss, I promise.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

PE Team:

Is it feasible to provide some AI traffic to the expansion areas? Maybe some fun could be had with "traffic" in the area but no services yet. Also - do you need some flights done in the areas to use for a recorded AI plane?
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Work is moving quickly to finish up the expansion now that we're moving ahead without the remainder of the FAA data. If hiring and training go as expected, we should be up and running before the end of the year. I will post updates to this threads as relevant milestones occur.

Regarding AI traffic, it's anticipated that most of the aircraft conducting ops in the expansion area are going to be in the flight levels (since the airports are generally pretty far apart, bonus fields notwithstanding), so it's not yet clear if we're going to benefit from having drones in the expansion area or not.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It was a ton of fun working Salt Lake and Denver Center last night. No question, once the expansion occurs, the range of city pairs is going to be pretty exciting. Couple that with the bonus fields which aren't too far from the primary airports in the expansion area and there will be a ton of new flights to do, even for piston and turboprops. Genuinely excited to get this up and going!
BFG

Post by BFG »

Keith, have you all posted the list of fields for the area yet? Understood if not, but if so I'd love to see it.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

BFG wrote:Keith, have you all posted the list of fields for the area yet? Understood if not, but if so I'd love to see it.
Yes, back on page 2: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5499&start=10#p36619
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

An update. After we committed to building the remaining data without relying on the FAA.....they, of course, sent the remaining data. I'm almost certain they have a Director of Spite over there.

This doesn't change things a great deal, but it does help us in meeting our goal of launching before end of year.

Peter has been working hard on the airspace build out (it's a huge task) and we will be starting training of controllers in the very near future. Things are looking good!
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Keith Smith wrote: I'm almost certain they have a Director of Spite over there.
We're the FAA and we're here to help! :twisted:
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL