Scenery for PE

Kevin_atc

Re: Scenery for PE

Post by Kevin_atc »

Very nice! Although, I have two comments. I have imbedded your screenshot below for easy reference (EDIT: I hope your monitor is wide enough to see the important part of that screenshot...if not, just reference the first screenshot on the imgur page). First, any chance you could change the arrows on that long piece of asphalt prior to runway 26 to be chevrons instead? From the screenshots you posted, currently it looks like a very long displaced threshold (like what KBFL has), however IRL that portion of the asphalt is actually yellow chevrons indicating unusable asphalt. The same thing goes for the strip prior to runway 8...maybe xplane doesn't let you create those chevrons? (I have never built scenery)

My second comment is to see if you could place a static aircraft right at the beginning of that unusable strip of asphalt. You'll see in the screenshot that your google earth overlay actually has that aircraft sitting right there. It's just an abandoned aircraft that was placed there a long time ago...I guess just for scenery? (maybe some locals can weigh in on exactly what it is). This would also help to cover up the google earth overlay where half of the plane gets cut off due to the xplane taxiway.

Please don't take my comments personally- I think you did a great job. I'm just adding my $0.02 in case these things were overlooked.

Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
svilenv

Post by svilenv »

Thanks for the feedback, Kevin!

Certainly no offence taken, I'm aware of other deficiencies as well: I'm limited on what I can do by the arsenal of tools, techniques and libraries that I'm using: not a master by any means. For example the chevrons you mention can't be done with WED default tools, I'll need to find and overlay a suitable texture there, will try to figure it out. The static a/c should be no issue, although it probably won't look like the battered, stripped and rusty airframe that can be seen on the satellite photos (can't do 3D-modeling myself, unfortunately :( )

I'll definitely work on an update in a few days, will just wait a little bit to accumulate all the suggestions and remarks both from here and from the guys on xplane.org :)
Svilen Vassilev (N217S)
PE I-11 graduate, Certified Armchair Pilot
| Youtube flight recordings | Livestream
svilenv

Post by svilenv »

KCMA updated, here's the list of changes:

- added more recent, higher-res orthophotos
- added textured chevrons instead of the displaced threshold arrows on rwy 8/26 ends
- added decals for sharper ortho textures
- adjustments to ground layout, boundaries and track of twys G, H, B, C to more precisely match orthophotos and published airport diagrams
- adjusted PAPI positions for both runways
- adjusted taxi signs format in accordance with ICAO recommendations (http://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/aviat ... -signs.pdf), removed unnecessary right-hand signs
- reversed some inverted hold short lines
- added more static objects and clutter
- rebuilt the midfield area and eastern area that had construction objects in the initial version: added asphalt/concrete surface, hangars and clutter as seen on latest orthos
- WED file included for users who want to make custom modifications

Download link: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app ... file=30635
New screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/w2Uay
Svilen Vassilev (N217S)
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Just loaded it up. It looks amazing. Really nice to have this airport and a bonus to have such great detail and features. Thanks a ton for this.

And . . . what airport would be complete without the hangar call girl? :P Gotta love it.
KCMA girl.png
KCMA girl.png (653.44 KiB) Viewed 28731 times
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
svilenv

Post by svilenv »

Thanks for the kind words, Rod, I appreciate! There are a few other girls lurking in the scenery albeit with less casual outfits :)

Next one in the works will be L70 - Agua Dulce (skyvector link / early WIP screenshot)
Svilen Vassilev (N217S)
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Look forward to L70. Just a note on KCMA. At first I was getting a message on startup that there was a problem loading the scenery. The log.text file showed that the package couldn't find flags_us_states - I had it, but it was looking for it to be in a folder named "lib". After I gave it a folder, I was able to see the California flag by the tower and didn't get the startup message anymore. Other airports typically require the Flags to be directly in the Custom Scenery folder like any other library.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
svilenv

Post by svilenv »

Thanks for the feedback, Rod!

Weird stuff with the flag library: it could be that I have an old or different version of it on my system. Anyway I pushed an updated version of the scenery to the .ORG fixing the flag object issue and also making some other small tweaks/adjustments in the taxi signs, surfaces, lines and peeps.

Cheers!
Svilen Vassilev (N217S)