No "Connected to PilotEdge" voice message

flyingdrill

No "Connected to PilotEdge" voice message

Post by flyingdrill »

Using an iMac on 10.11.4
X-Plane 10.45
I no longer hear the "Connected" message (or "Disconnected" for that matter), even though the message does appear on the screen. Hardly the end of the world, but anyone have any ideas on why this is manifesting itself?
Herbumus

Re: No "Connected to PilotEdge" voice message

Post by Herbumus »

I think it has something to do with IXEG's 737... I don't hear the ATIS anymore either. Started after 737 install... Do you have the 737 installed also? Can you hear the ATIS?
pilot7369

Post by pilot7369 »

For what its worth, I've got the IXEG 733 and I have'nt had any problems not hearing the "connected" voice.

That said, it has gone away for periods of time in the past and then come back. Also, I have noticed its volume relative to the sim volume can be low sometimes making it tough to discern. It shouldn't be a big problem unless youre having trouble hearing controllers as well.
Carl Baumann
PPL and PE I-11 rated
X-Plane Win. 10

Usually fly under callsign N437SP or TPX
chevyrules

Post by chevyrules »

Is the plane powered on or off?

It depends on the plane. Some planes, I will get the voice. Others, won't get the voice unless the plane is powered up.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

No, this started way before the IXEG 733, and it has happened on 2 computers with me. I think chevyrules may well be right about different planes and powered on or off. I'll try that, just to see if there's a pattern. I agree, it's not really important. It certainly has no effect on the volume of the controllers.

I'm spending more time (why do I bother?) finding minor bugs in various planes..... Nothing that destroys the enjoyment of all this, however.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

So far, with a couple of planes, hot or cold, still no voice. Quite why these things suddenly manifest themselves amazes me. OK, X-Plane moves up a version, but why should that affect this plugin intermittently, or is it the planes and (perhaps) their SASL stuff?
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

I don't have a solution but perhaps a direction for you to investigate. PilotEdge uses the X-Plane text-to-speech, and X-Plane uses the system text-to-speech. On a Mac, check System Preferences > Dictation & Speech > Text to Speech tab.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

"Connected to PilotEdge" is spoken via the XPLMSpeakString() function. We're not accessing the audio device directly. Instead, it's done through that high level function. My recollection is that XPLMSpeakString is sensitive to whether the avionics are switched on or not and the settings of the audio panel in the airplane.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

DavidC wrote:X-Plane uses the system text-to-speech.
FWIIW, the Linux version of X-plane doesn't have voice support either. As DavidC stated, X-plane uses the Operating system text to speech functions. In cases where that support is missing (linux), X-plane is mute.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Funnily enough, without changing anything, the "voice" is back. Go figure.......