Lost communications question

schwed

Lost communications question

Post by schwed »

I was going through the AIM about the procedures to follow in the event of lost comms.
I understand the concept of following (in defending order) assigned route > vectored > expected. I can think of examples where I would use each of these. What I can't figure out is an example where I would be in a position where I don't have an assigned, vectored or expected route and I would have to use my "filed" route. Once I get a clearance, the "filed" route becomes assigned once ATC says "as filed". If they change the route, then there's also a route "assigned".

Last week I was given vectors around traffic. I was told "Cirrus 205EC turn right heading 160 for traffic". If I had lost comms at that point, I would have turned back to my originally assigned route. SO even in a situation where I am given a vector without an expected fix, I always have an "assigned" route.

Am I understanding this incorrectly?

Can someone give me examples of a situation where the only available route is "filed" and there is no assigned / vectored / expected route of flight?
Daniel Schwed
Private, Instrument - ASEL
PE - N143SB
Cirrus SR20 - N143SB - KLOM
NameCoin

Re: Lost communications question

Post by NameCoin »

I think that you're trying to over-interpret a lot of terminology. The bottom line is that if you for some reason reach the end of your clearance and have lost communications, it is a judgement call on the best course of action. I would be very surprised if anyone tried to go back to the the route they filed (on the ground) simply by default, as you seem to be suggesting. The actual ATC clearance may not be compatible with that, or there could be other better choices.

In many cases, your clearance ends where an instrument approach feeder route begins. If I lost communications at that point, I would fly the approach. (I'll add that you should be familiar with the available approaches at your intended destination.) If for some reason it doesn't, then you have to decide. A good example is TEC routes going toward Montgomery Field (KMYF), where the clearance terminates at the MZB VOR. None of the approaches have a feeder route from there. Here is their ILS RWY 28R:

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1605/pdf/05401IL28R.PDF

What would you do?
schwed

Post by schwed »

NameCoin wrote:I think that you're trying to over-interpret a lot of terminology. The bottom line is that if you for some reason reach the end of your clearance and have lost communications, it is a judgement call on the best course of action. I would be very surprised if anyone tried to go back to the the route they filed (on the ground) simply by default, as you seem to be suggesting. The actual ATC clearance may not be compatible with that, or there could be other better choices.
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. It seems overkill for the AIM to suggest that if you don't have an assigned / vectored / expected route at the time of lost comms, that you should default to your "filed" route. I can't think of a scenario where this could occur. I am not suggesting you would go to the route filled on the ground. Since I have been assigned a route (even if ATC says "as filed" that means the filled route is now assigned), then why would anyone ever fly the filled route assuming its different than the assigned one.

NameCoin wrote:In many cases, your clearance ends where an instrument approach feeder route begins. If I lost communications at that point, I would fly the approach. (I'll add that you should be familiar with the available approaches at your intended destination.) If for some reason it doesn't, then you have to decide. A good example is TEC routes going toward Montgomery Field (KMYF), where the clearance terminates at the MZB VOR. None of the approaches have a feeder route from there. Here is their ILS RWY 28R:

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1605/pdf/05401IL28R.PDF

What would you do?
As for what I would do in the scenario you posted: After attempting to reach other controllers (i.e previous frequencies, guard, switch radios, disable sq, squawk 7600, etc) I would fly to an IAF in the approach at a reasonable altitude (no lower than the MSA) and shoot the approach as published.
Daniel Schwed
Private, Instrument - ASEL
PE - N143SB
Cirrus SR20 - N143SB - KLOM
jx_

Post by jx_ »

Because you can operate an IFR flight in uncontrolled airspace without ATC clearance, and since it is possible to lose comm's before receiving a route assignment... hence the wording in the FAR/AIM.