Your favorite GA single?

wmburns

Carenado PC12; the good, the bad, and the ugly

Post by wmburns »

DavidC wrote:
The PC-12, on the other hand, is the most frustrating Carenado model I own. It uses a version of Carenado's manipulator technology that I have not found in any other model, and it's absolutely terrible. There are multiple threads (including someone earlier in this thread) about making sure you load your sim full screen before loading the PC-12 to avoid having the click spots all be in the wrong place. The altitude pre-selector changes in increments of 80 ft, which is the most annoying and puzzling thing ever. The heading and course bugs move in 2 degree increments, also massively frustrating. There's a bug that has been present since the release of the aircraft where if you pull the condition lever back to 50% or less the second generator drops offline and, once offline, the electrical system shunts the entire load to GEN1 and nothing you can do will get it to use GEN2 for the rest of the flight. I'm sure there are other issues with the model that I've forgotten, but you get the picture.
At the risk of beating a dead PC12, some of the criticism is justified. Others maybe not......After all. Is it really a fault if the RW aircraft does it?

With regards to the GEN1/GEN2 behavior here is what I have found. The real PC12 only runs from a single generator when the condition level is in the taxi or 50% setting. I suspect it has to do with limiting the load on the turbo while the turbo's output is limited. Further I think that only one generator is needed for ground operations.

I have also been frustrated by the warnings/cautions staying on after take off. What I have found is IF the power is brought back below 36.6PSI after take off, the 2nd generator will come online automatically. The significance of 36.6PSI is that is the maximum recommended cruise power setting at low altitudes (from the performance tables).

I have to admit it seems strange taking off with acknowledged cautions/warnings but as yet, I haven't found any way around it.

Yes. The 2 degree HSI adjustment is strange. Again I don't know if that is how the real airplane works.

Are you running the latest version of the PC12? I believe it's 3.2.

+1 on flying a turbo-prop. Not a good idea to pull power all the way down to flight idle late in the approach. In the event of a go around, unlikely the power would ever come back in before touchdown. I don't know if it's correct but I make sure there's at least 10PSI power for the final 100'.

Energy management can be a real challenge. Slow down to go down! If too fast and too high during approach, unlikely the PC12 will ever slow down enough to lower flaps or gear to avoid just ripping them off (Been there. Done that).

I absolutely LOVE the prop sounds! Especially the reverse!

It's also funny how some details can be some real immersion killers. I hated flying the original Carenado B1900D because one could firewall the turbos forever and nothing bad would happen. The engine would quit in later versions if operated over limits for an excessive length of time.
Last edited by wmburns on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schwed

Re: Your favorite GA single?

Post by schwed »

Consider a cirrus SR22T. You'll get top of the line avionics, speeds up to 200 knots and the freedom to fly up to FL240. Wish I could fly one of these in real life.
Daniel Schwed
Private, Instrument - ASEL
PE - N143SB
Cirrus SR20 - N143SB - KLOM
Turner

Post by Turner »

schwed wrote:Consider a cirrus SR22T. You'll get top of the line avionics, speeds up to 200 knots and the freedom to fly up to FL240. Wish I could fly one of these in real life.
Me too - gotta say though, I'm not a fan of all-glass. Well, I do like the Aspen stuff... Ah, I guess I could get used to it.
schwed

Post by schwed »

First gen SR22s are non-glass. That being said, why fly a machine with avionics from last century? I absolutely love all glass. But I can understand the nostalgia that a regular six pack brings to mind.
Daniel Schwed
Private, Instrument - ASEL
PE - N143SB
Cirrus SR20 - N143SB - KLOM
Turner

Post by Turner »

schwed wrote:First gen SR22s are non-glass. That being said, why fly a machine with avionics from last century? I absolutely love all glass. But I can understand the nostalgia that a regular six pack brings to mind.
I like a mix - the plane I usually fly has 2 gps units and I typically bring my iPad...

That said, I'm not against glass, I just don't like the typical presentation or lack of customization. For example - what if I want glass to look like steam gauges?

Aspen kind of does that, which is probably why I like their units :) I really like their 3-wide ensemble...

And really, I do like glass, but I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of the G1000 or "giant glass window" units, at least in terms of presentation. Love the smaller stuff, though.
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

schwed wrote:First gen SR22s are non-glass. That being said, why fly a machine with avionics from last century? I absolutely love all glass. But I can understand the nostalgia that a regular six pack brings to mind.
Glass avionics in sims have two problems, in my opinion. One, they tend to have small, multi-purpose controls that can be hard to use with sim manipulators like the mouse. Two, they are complex, computer-driven packages that developers find difficult and cost-prohibitive to model properly, so we often get very shallow simulations that basically become steam gauges (only harder to read).

That is changing, slowly. I was a loud critic of Carenado/Alabeo's G1000 until this week. I bought the Alabeo DA-42 because I adore the real aircraft. I was extremely surprised at how clear and usable the G1000 is, and how much more of it is modeled versus the older Aerobask DA-42 for X-Plane. The Alabeo G1000 is still not complete - it does not have procedures, for one major example - but it's much, much closer than anything I've seen in X-Plane thus far and its textures are crisp and readable. There are still manipulator problems for me, especially trying to click the FMS knob that's on the end of the dual rotary knobs while using the 3D panel, but the 2D pop-out makes it work reasonably well.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
cruster

Post by cruster »

My favorite GA Single has been the Bonanza F33 for a very long time. The C210 (with the REP add-on) is a very close second.Both are a blast to bomb around the skies of the PE area, hauling virtual pax hither and yon.

Recently, I was toying with picking up a C177RG, but with the fee changes in FSE, I'm not sure that buying airframes just because they're interesting is a good idea.