Offshore 9 - WAMMY

Nelson L.

Offshore 9 - WAMMY

Post by Nelson L. »

Was just wondering about the Offshore 9 out of KSFO. The DP says that off 28L, after crossing SENZY, you should turn left heading 203, intercept the 151 radial outbound from PYE, then fly to WAMMY then SEGUL. 3 things: 1) The narration actually doesn't even mention WAMMY, it just says intercept the radial and go straight to SEGUL, 2) does the "squiggly" line dawn to WAMMY mean anything (i.e. the narration doesn't mention it because...) and 3) if anyone has flown the Offshore 9 with the IXEG 737, did you get the same circle-path that's in the pic below? I'm using AIRAC 1607 and v1.0.5 if that matters...
Attachments
IMG_1722.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 10584 times
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Mudhen

Re: Offshore 9 - WAMMY

Post by Mudhen »

Since no altitude is printed for WAMMY, then it’s not part of the SID. It’s a navigational reference point.
Locally, NorCal may allow aircraft to proceed to WAMMY and intercept the balance of the departure procedure, but they would also have to assign an altitude. (I don’t work NorCal, so I don’t know their local procedures.)
I don’t use the IXEG 737, so I don’t know about the “circle-path.” As a guess, (and a stupid one at that,) it looks like it's trying to draw a holding pattern??!!??
The lightning bolt line points to WAMMY to avoid confusing it with other fixes. (When it may not be obvious.)
This space intentionally left blank
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

IIRC the IXEG still has some issues with radial intercepts in SIDs/STARs. They are working on it.
You could post a report about it on the official support forum at x-pilot.com to let them know: http://forums.x-pilot.com/forums/forum/202-bug-reports/
yajna

Post by yajna »

It could be your AIRAC data. Also, things sometimes get funny if you change DEP or ARR after moving the plane. Changes of runway or STAR are so unpredictable in the IXEG FMS that I always make sure to set the AP to HDG mode before changing the flight plan.

Try rebooting Gizmo and reloading the flight plan.

Here's a screenshot of mine (IXEG 737 v1.0.5 with default nav data) and it doesn't have the detour around WAMMY. In fact the DEP doesn't show WAMMY at all, just SENZY and the intercept on the way to SEGUL.

Look at this bug report (still not fixed as far as I can tell): http://forums.x-pilot.com/forums/topic/ ... threesixty

-Chris (SWA 484)
Attachments
Offshore9 from 28L
Offshore9 from 28L
offshore9.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 10546 times
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Hmmm, I'm on AIRAC 1607 and the aircraft was parked at the gate the whole time. It looks like the intercept points is past WAMMY, so the aircraft is trying to loop back, fly over WAMMY, then continue to SENZY. If it's not required that I fly over WAMMY, I would just delete the waypoint. Does WAMMY not being in the narration mean I'm allowed to just completely disregard it, intercept, and go to SENZY?

I'll probably file a bug report just in case too.

EDIT - Apparently it's almost impossible in a jet to intercept before WAMMY. Question becomes why is it still on the chart? Is it just for a point of reference then?
X-Plane 10.45
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

You can disregard WAMMY, it's not part of the SID. As to why it's there; Since this is the Offshore 9, that means there was an 8, 7, 6, etc. And,
because it's specifically identified with a radial and dme, it's possibly a holdover from a previous version of the SID.
This space intentionally left blank
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

From what I can tell though, WAMMY is identified with a radial and DME - 33 DME on the PYE 151 radial. I'd tend to agree with the point about disregarding, but I'm just a little confused about the regs here. From what I can tell, there's nothing on the chart itself (apart from the fix not being on the narration...) that would indicate WAMMY isn't to be flown?

:?
X-Plane 10.45
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

It seems to also depend on the charts source. The Navigraph version (based on LIDO i think) is drawn in a way wich suggests that WHAMMY is not supposed to be overflown.
offshore9.jpg
offshore9.jpg (546.51 KiB) Viewed 10436 times
jx_

Post by jx_ »

Nelson,

1) WAMMY is on the DP, but irrelevant because after SEPDY/SENZY you fly a vector to intercept the radial. Whether or not you ever overfly WAMMY would depend on the wind. There's no way the airplane can predict before hand where exactly it will intercept the radial. This is why it's not in the narration.

2) The loop you see on your ND is because the airplane is trying to figure out how to get to that fix. Just delete it if it shows a right turn. If it shows a left turn onto the radial you're fine. The squiggly line lets you know the airplane wants to do something stupid.

Just make sure you point the airplane to heading 203 until reaching that radial and you're all set.