Sound setup for Windows 10

stantona

Sound setup for Windows 10

Post by stantona »

I cannot find any topic on setting up sound with Pilotedge on Windows 10. My Motherboard has a Realtech sound system on board but so far I cannot get it set up with the engine noise going to the speakers and ATC through the speakers and headset. I also have Voicemeeter installed but that has not helped either. There must be someone familiar with the sound systems to point me in the right direction. Also, I am not transmitting out either.
Thanks,
Alex
ridikamus

Re: Sound setup for Windows 10

Post by ridikamus »

By far the easiest solution to this problem is to throw money at it. Buy a USB headset for $30-$50 (The Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 is what I picked). Windows treats that as a separate audio device, so you can assign PilotEdge audio to the headset and leave your onboard sound card as the Windows default device for X-Plane.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Unless Windows sees multiple devices, you are not going to be able to separate th engine noise from the atc. In terms of input, make sure the default comms device is set to the mic that you are using.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

stantona wrote: My Motherboard has a Realtech sound system on board but so far I cannot get it set up with the engine noise going to the speakers and ATC through the speakers and headset.
To add to what Keith and others have said. As far as Win10 is concerned, setting up sound devices isn't really any different than previous versions. The heart of the issue is how the OS "sees" the Mother Board's analog sound device. By design the MB's analog output is considered ONE device. The MB is going to sense when headphones are plugged in and re-direct the sound to the headset away from the speakers. One output device.

One option to get around the problem is to use a set of speakers with a headset jack. However without modification most speakers will cut off the speakers when the headphones are plugged in.

As has been mentioned, using USB headset offers an easy way to create multiple devices which will give control to direct the output sounds as desired.

The original post did not mention if the mic levels were tested using a different application or the OS.

Your original post does not state which sim you are using. Nor does it mention HOW you have set up the push to talk feature (PTT).

The best way to work though this is to break it down into pieces. Test the output. Then test the mic using OS built in tools. Once the sound devices are set up the way you want, then move onto trouble shooting with the sim/PE client.
mikealphacharlie

Post by mikealphacharlie »

DavidC wrote:By far the easiest solution to this problem is to throw money at it. Buy a USB headset for $30-$50 (The Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 is what I picked). Windows treats that as a separate audio device, so you can assign PilotEdge audio to the headset and leave your onboard sound card as the Windows default device for X-Plane.
Very interesting - I had never realised that it was possible to separate the PE audio stream from the XP audio stream. Whereabouts in Windows would I go hunting for this function? Works in Win 7 ?
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Open the volume mixer windows control panel app. One method is to right click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner. The other method is to type "adjust system volume" in the search box.

On Win10 the mixer can be accessed from the "settings" control panel. Type "volume" in the find search box.

It works the virtually the same way in Win7 and Win10.
mikealphacharlie

wmburns wrote:Open the volume mixer windows control panel app. One method is to right click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner. The other method is to type "adjust system volume" in the search box.

On Win10 the mixer can be accessed from the "settings" control panel. Type "volume" in the find search box.

It works the virtually the same way in Win7 and Win10.
Many thanks - there's always something new to learn!
mikealphacharlie

I have a follow up question - I'm curious about how the PE client manages to make itself an application that is distinct from X-Plane since the client is running as a plugin within the XP application? You would imagine that Windows would see them as a single entity. Haven't got my hands on a USB headset yet but looking forward to trying this solution.

Steve
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve,

You can't adjust the PE volume separate to X-Plane because it runs as an in-line plugin, you're right. You can adjust it separately with FSX/P3D, though, because PE runs as separate application for those sims.

If you do want to adjust PE volume in xplane, the best way is to increase/decrease the master volume for your system, then increase/decrease the xplane ambient/engine noise from within the sim as needed to get the ratio right.
mikealphacharlie

Keith Smith wrote:Steve,

You can't adjust the PE volume separate to X-Plane because it runs as an in-line plugin, you're right. You can adjust it separately with FSX/P3D, though, because PE runs as separate application for those sims.

If you do want to adjust PE volume in xplane, the best way is to increase/decrease the master volume for your system, then increase/decrease the xplane ambient/engine noise from within the sim as needed to get the ratio right.
Yes, this is exactly what I previously thought, but then an earlier post in this thread indicated that it was possible to to separate the PE audio on to a USB headset and leave the aircraft audio on the sound card. Hence my confusion!

Steve