RW instrument ticket - How PE helped

schwed

RW instrument ticket - How PE helped

Post by schwed »

Hey guys,

I got my instrument ticket today!. About a year ago I watched Keith's videos explaining the benefits of simulation and how he used this to get his instrument ticket in the minimum 40 hours required by the FAA. So I challenged myself to do the same. After 1 year of studying (i have a full time job) and countless hours on the sim using PE, I became instrument rated in 40.2 hours (simulated / actual time). PilotEdge is a formidable service that without a doubt played a pivotal role in getting me ready for this.

An hour after the check ride, I filed IFR from KISP in Long Island all the way back to my home airport in Philadelphia. I can't even begin to express how gratifying it was to fly through NY in actual IMC while negotiating with NY APP as we flew over JFK with really interesting weather all around us. A fellow PilotEdge friend (and student pilot) was on the right side doing an excellent job on the radios.

Curious how other pilots (and student pilots) have used simulation and PE in their real world flying careers.
Daniel Schwed
Private, Instrument - ASEL
PE - N143SB
Cirrus SR20 - N143SB - KLOM
rtataryn

Re: RW instrument ticket - How PE helped

Post by rtataryn »

That is AWESOME. Congratulations on the instrument rating!!!!! A real accomplishment for sure.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

I used my home sim to keep my pilot brain engaged in between lessons for my private ticket. Completed my checkride a year and a half after starting, with 41.5 single engine hours. (logged some free twin time from work. Day job is an aerial photographer) The sim helped keep me sharp when work got in the way of lessons. I had a couple stretches of over two month between them.

I expect the same for when I decide to go for the instrument. I'm already using the sim in my home study toward that goal.
Last edited by zerofay32 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Those are both great stories, thanks for posting 'em! My favorite part about the IFR check ride was not only that you got it in minimum time, but that you went and filed IFR with IMC conditions through the busiest TRACON in the world immediately after your check ride. Many people who go for their check ride don't actually feel confident about flying in the system (they only feel comfortable with the PTS items), so that, above everything else, is what stands out for me as the biggest take away. Not only did you pass your ride, but you're ready to go and use your ticket!

Andrew, getting your PPL in 41.5 hours is a very rare achievement with the national average being 75 hours. The current wisdom says that you can only get it in the minimum time if you're flying several days a week without any lapses. Your use of the sim between lessons proves otherwise.

Outstanding!
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

Congrats on the ticket to learn!!!

I have been flight simming since MSFS v2.0 back in the mid 80's. I also have spent several hours flying in the PilotEdge network as you can see that my PilotID is #54. I got my PPSEL back in 1993 and took a break for several years after having kids, etc. I got start back up again in 2008 and decided that I would start my IFR training in the fall of 2009. I started 11/23/2009 with 1.8 hours of simulated IFR that I did with my PPSEL training. Due to winter weather and getting a new engine in the Cessna 172 that I used for my training, I passed my checkride on 6/17/2010 with a total of 39.4 hours between the day that I started my IFR training and when I passed my checkride. My instructor said there were many things that I knew prior to getting started. Radio communication was the biggest thing (thanks to PE), but also my ability to read charts and the approach plates was something that we didn't need to spend any time outside of the cockpit.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

Just my two cents.
First. Congratulations. Whether or not you use the ticket the training alone has made you a better pilot.
If you intend progressing into more ratings, or if you decide to use the ticket on a regular basis then I strongly urge you to take both an aerobatics course and upset recovery training.
Even with today’s remarkable technology and a heavy reliance on autopilot, pilots are still pile-driving via controlled flight into terrain.
Both upset recovery and acro will arm against these events and further sharpen your skills.
This space intentionally left blank
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

Keith Smith wrote:Andrew, getting your PPL in 41.5 hours is a very rare achievement with the national average being 75 hours. The current wisdom says that you can only get it in the minimum time if you're flying several days a week without any lapses. Your use of the sim between lessons proves otherwise.
Thanks Keith. The sim surely helped, but in the interest of full disclosure, I spend an average of 300 hr a year in light aircraft. (Cessna 206s and Piper Navajos). While most of the time I'm just a backseater working the equipment, you can't spend that much time around airplanes without some of it rubbing off on you. :lol: If could log all my time in GA aircraft over the past 5 years I would have close to 2000 hr!
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS