Strangest Positive Experience Ever

HamSammich

Strangest Positive Experience Ever

Post by HamSammich »

The title pretty much begs an explanation. So it gets one, and PE gets a testimonial.

I went on the network for the first time ever, last night, after months of putting it off. Planned a VFR+Flight-Following trip from KSBA-KSBP. Found my navaids, entered my freqs. I listened to ATIS then got ready to call clearance.

And got hit with a mic fright tsunami. I don't say this to discourage anyone. As you'll see, it's just the opposite. But, for the moment, think Ralph Kramden, going "Homina-homina-homina-homina." Think Chuck Knaubloch forgetting how to make the throw to first. That kind of thing. And it came out of the blue.

See, I make Youtube videos, and blab on endlessly into a mic. I work behind the scenes in TV news. For the last 25 years I've sat in a dark, tension-filed room, wearing a headset, and either given or taken instructions, with several million viewers watching, seconds to act and, most important, even less time to communicate. There has not been a moment in my career when I and my colleagues haven't had 26 plates in the air spinning simultaneously--and each broken piece can cost millions. Or someone's reputation.

I have a dent on my frickin' left ear from a headset. And been screamed at by tyrannical executives. No one doing what I do has NOT been reamed for a mistake at least a dozen times in his/her career. everyone I know has been fired. Brutally.

None of that was going to happen here. None.

And yet. And yet. I got The Fear.

And I could not be happier I kept going. I made it out to the runway. Got clearance and, little by little it dawned on me. I was doing just what I love doing. And the controllers were, to the best of their ability, doing everything to make that possible. They obviously have a training mission, but they also just enable us to step out of, say, a rainy New York day and spend some time in California Pinot Country.

So I landed, taxi'ed to the parking, was about to shut down, when something moved me to go out again. So I called ground, didn't botch my info this time, requested pattern work and did about a half-dozen turns--which got me talking a lot to the tower and helped immeasurably. By the end I was requesting military overhead break patterns and departing to sight-see and checking back in. The two controllers who worked me made it easy.

And maybe that's the key. When I go flying with a friend I sometimes work the comms. And I'm never nervous there--I now think it's because I know I'm out doing what I love, and ATC is helping me do it.

Well, same here. It just took a few jitters to realize it.

Chris Stewart came home today from a rough day at the office and turned to PE to unwind. I'm not quite at that level of Zen yet, but I'm looking forward to getting there.

I'd encourage anyone to jump in and do the same. I can't thank everyone at PE enough. This. Will. Be. Fun!

Best,

Marshall Arbitman
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Strangest Positive Experience Ever

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Great to hear! I spoke with you a bit on Chris' stream yesterday. It was a pleasure speaking with you. Good luck on the network!
As I do with everyone, I suggest the free workshops and pilot training program:

Workshops (start from bottom and work your way up)
http://www.pilotedge.net/workshops

Training program:
http://training.pilotedge.net/page/overview
Kyle Sanders
manlyman

Post by manlyman »

Well I want to add to this. I've been flying PE for a little over a month now. Have to say my first time to taxi was just as you shared, total brain lock. I was told about it before hand. I still get it as I prepare for departure but am getting better at it. Your story has given me some comfort as to my brain locks. Am looking forward to things just flowing like water.

David
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

Glad to see you found your courage and made it on to the network, Marshall. Now you have no excuse not to start cutting videos on it! :D

That being said, I've got hundreds of hours on the network and still find myself getting terrified once in a while. It's all part of the joy.
HamSammich

Post by HamSammich »

Ty,

Luckily, I only get terrified watching you land.
The rest is pure pleasure. And deeply heartening.
I liked it so much I did the V1 on a lark, tonight.

See you soon!

Marshall
signmanbob

Post by signmanbob »

I believe communicating with ATC is so frightening at the beginning, because there is a format that has to be learned. You can't just get on a talk "Howdy John Wayne Ground, how's it going with you today?...Hey, can you give me some instructions on getting to the runway?...Thanks. Talk at you later bud."
No, you have to follow, what feels like an unnatural format that makes communicating short and to the point...and did I say unnatural? This format has to be learned and proficiency formed by experience.
Well, what do you do if you don't have experience? Answer: You screw up :D ...and screwing up with everyone listening, is nerve racking and frightening.
V-3 * CAT-11 * i-11 Ratings 8-)....Yeah!!
HamSammich

Post by HamSammich »

Precisely!
its why I can be on comms all day at work and never sweat it.
Besides, they already know I'm a moron.

Best,

Marshall
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

ROFL !! :lol: