Lost Comms in X-Plane 10.5

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
JonFly

Lost Comms in X-Plane 10.5

Post by JonFly »

I wanted to share what happened to me he other day to see if any other pilots are experiencing this. Also if controllers have seen an uptick in pilots losing comms that would be nice to know.

I was flying the Carenado 206 and comms were working both ways with ATC. Then suddenly I could not hear ATC nor could they hear me. I could hear X-Plane sounds and even ATIS.
I changed to the AirFoilLabs 172 and same thing, no comms. A reboot brought the comms back.

On the following flight ATC worked great for the first 20 minutes then again suddenly comms were gone. I had not changed frequency, had not selected COMM 2, nothing but changing my heading.

After this I decided to load up the new PE Client to see if it was client related. Same problem with new client.

Let me know here if anyone else is getting lost comms.

Thanks
Jon
aka JonFLy

twitch.tv/jonfly
Jon aka "JonFly"
See my livestreams www.twitch.tv/jonfly
Join the new X-Plane Users Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/xplaneusers/
BonanzaDude

Re: Lost Comms in X-Plane 10.5

Post by BonanzaDude »

I was unable to make contact with ATC my first try on v10.5 last night. I could hear ATC but they couldn't hear any of my calls. I tried both COM1 and COM2 and even signed off and back on.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

I too have had comms issues, but I have been blaming them on a particular aircraft model. I couldn't get TX or RX to work with the Nimbus Aero Commander 500S, and when I switched to a different aircraft that I know works, it would not work after loading the AC500. I had to quit X-Plane and start over to get the second model to work. The symptom I was seeing on the PE map was that I was tuned to a nonsense frequency (I believe it was 122.998) and no amount of fiddling with frequency, radio power, avionics power, aircraft power, etc. could get the freq to change.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

BonanzaDude wrote:I was unable to make contact with ATC my first try on v10.5 last night. I could hear ATC but they couldn't hear any of my calls. I tried both COM1 and COM2 and even signed off and back on.

John
My issue was on me. Complete "Brain Fart" on my part. Completely forgot that I had installed a new USB device to plug my headset into. My default mic was set to the new device and not my Rode mic.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
liam kelly

Post by liam kelly »

Hi Folks,
I have had a similarly frustrating problem - several attempts at the PilotEdge V-3 rating having to be abandoned half way through, due to lost comms with ATC. I am flying the stock X-plane Baron58, with Saitek radio, autopilot, and TPM with toggle switches. Having seen Keith's suggestions on the lost comms thread, I checked the alternator/generator using the data input/output, and it shows a steady drain on the battery with nothing coming from generators, and no obvious way to turn them on from the panel. So I programmed a couple of the Saitek panel buttons to turn on generator 1 and generator 2, but there is still no sign of a charging current arriving to the battery.
I'd really appreciate it if anyone has a suggestion to fix this, I expect there are alot of people flying the Baron on Pilot edge?
Thanks,
Liam.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

liam kelly wrote:Hi Folks,
I have had a similarly frustrating problem - several attempts at the PilotEdge V-3 rating having to be abandoned half way through, due to lost comms with ATC. I am flying the stock X-plane Baron58, with Saitek radio, autopilot, and TPM with toggle switches. Having seen Keith's suggestions on the lost comms thread, I checked the alternator/generator using the data input/output, and it shows a steady drain on the battery with nothing coming from generators, and no obvious way to turn them on from the panel. So I programmed a couple of the Saitek panel buttons to turn on generator 1 and generator 2, but there is still no sign of a charging current arriving to the battery.
I'd really appreciate it if anyone has a suggestion to fix this, I expect there are alot of people flying the Baron on Pilot edge?
Thanks,
Liam.
I fired up X-Plane this morning before heading off to work. The *alternator* switches for the default Baron are on the pilot's side right next to the main battery switch. On X-Plane 10.5 (via Steam) and I can confirm that turning them on/off will make the generator data input/output values change.

Under load during a climbout, the "gen" value did drop and the battery value is steady. Not sure how long it will take for lost comms, but I need to head to work...

Steve
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
SladeEvans

Post by SladeEvans »

I had a similar experience yesterday with XP 10.5. Everything worked great at first but then i noticed the voices started to sound like robots. By the time I got to my destination and tried to call approach there was no response at all. Since it was my first time using XP for PE I thought it was a problem with the sim. So, I switched to P3D and ended up with the same. Voices became distorted and then stopped altogether. I ended up disconnecting and finishing the flight offline. It seemed like the problem might have been on the PE side since the controllers seemed to be taking extra effort to speak slowly and clearly like they knew people were having a hard time hearing them.
liam kelly

Post by liam kelly »

I figured out the cause of my proble, see below from my other post.
If anyone knows how to fix the compatibility issue with the Saitek multipanel switch, I'd appreciate a heads up on it.
Regards,
Liam.
liam kelly wrote:Jonfly,
I had the same problem in a Baron, both the Xplane standard, and the Carenado. The problem turned out to be the battery was draining, and ATC is lost when it drops below a certain voltage, typically after 20 or 30 minutes in the air. Very annoying, as I had to opt out of the V3 rating test 4 or 5 times while I tried to fix the problem. I use Saitek panels, 2 radios, the autopilot, the TPM, and the multiswitch. The problem was the multiswitch, there is some compatibility issue which stops the generators from working, even if you turn them on manually. When I disconnected this, all the other panels work fine and ATC stays on for as long as required.
Regards,
Liam.
BFG

Post by BFG »

I've had disconnects from PE the last two flights. Reloading the client fixed it, but this is a new pattern. And I'm running P3D.
Balu0

Post by Balu0 »

Funny, I had this today but was completely my fault.
XP11 Cessna 210 Centurion with REP.

I shut down the engine the last night with avionics on, and I managed to fry my radios :D