Time for ADS-B?

Kyle.Sanders

Time for ADS-B?

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

So... ADS-B retailers are starting to send out mail asking you to choose them for your FAA mandated ADB-S installs.

This isn't exactly a scam, but before you dish out the $$, be sure you know exactly what it is and why you need it. You don't want them to talk you into more than the minimum requirements if $ is a factor for you.
An older friend of mine got this (attached image) in the mail and didn't know about this. He called me freaking out a bit (irrational response), but i'm sure there are some others out there that didn't know about this coming change either.

Read:
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/faq/
Attachments
IMG_2690.JPG
IMG_2690.JPG (855.15 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
Kyle Sanders
zerofay32

Re: Time for ADS-B?

Post by zerofay32 »

A lot of airplane owners have made the ADS-B upgrades under false pretenses. Don't get me wrong, the next gen systems are actually very good. But ADS-B upgrades are still pricey even though the prices have come down substantially in the last 3 years.

Also that letter is from an avionics shop, not the manufactures.

Part of the reason avionic shops send these letters out is because they know people will wait to the last minute to upgrade. When that happens they will be calling the shop to get in for the work and the shop will be booked solid for months with other procrastinators, at the late-in-commers will have to find another shop (that isn't booked solid). As far as the shops are concerned its better to have the work spread out over years then have it all show up at once when they may or may not be able to accommodate.

Unfortunately, price of the equipment will continue to come down, which will mean damned if you do, damned if you don't. Upgrade now and pay more for less, or wait and pay less but risk having the aircraft down while your on the shop waiting list (which for some operators will cost more in lost revenue)...

And not knowing the change is coming is no excuse IMO. The aviation community has been talking about this for the last 5 years... and we still have 4 years before the mandate goes into effect. ;)
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Steven Maddox

Post by Steven Maddox »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when the NextGen ATC systems will be fully implemented throughout the NAS? What's the point of requiring everyone to have ADSB-out if they can't see it yet on radar?
Steven Maddox
FAA ATP ERJ-170/190, CFII
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

You mean NowGen? hahahaha

For us little facilities...nextgen is a joke. We've been so behind the times. That being said, we're supposed to get STARS elite (we call it - eeee- lite ) next year. Then we can see your ADSB! I believe most of the en route facilities can see the ADSB already.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

Most (if not all) of the US is now covered by the ADS-B tower network. But that doesn't mean that all ATC facilities have been updated as Ryan points out. Also the mandate go into effect in 2020 so we still have a while before its mandatory on the airplane side.
Andrew Fay
Steven Maddox

Post by Steven Maddox »

...so does that mean that most enroute facilities can read the stupid things we put as our ADSB Flight ID? :lol:
Steven Maddox
FAA ATP ERJ-170/190, CFII
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

Steven Maddox wrote:...so does that mean that most enroute facilities can read the stupid things we put as our ADSB Flight ID? :lol:
If they can I'm sure that they appreciate the humor. lol.
Andrew Fay