SIDs and STARs

iracer99

SIDs and STARs

Post by iracer99 »

Would like info on SID's and STAR's. Example, taking a PA31 IFR out of KLAS to KSNA, do I need to include a departure procedure in my flight plan? Or are the "Procedures" only required for turbines? If one is required, how would I go about finding the appropriate one without going through each individual procedure on SkyVector? (18 different departure procedures)

Thank You,
Tommy
Cherokee N5299X
Legacy N707TC
kleistad

Re: SIDs and STARs

Post by kleistad »

You will be given one by clearance. But if you check the atis on myflightroute.com you´ll get the active runway. Knowing that and where your route starts will help narrow it down. Som SIDs are jets only, so you can rule them out as well

Recomend watching the workshops, they answer almost every question one might have :)
Kristoffer L.
N187KT
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

I know that KLAS was just an example, but MPQ aircraft don't fly SIDs out of KLAS. They will be given a heading to fly after departure for a radar vector on course. There is no way for you know that unless you are familiar with the airport, as it is not exactly posted for public knowledge.
Kyle Sanders
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

kleistad wrote:You will be given one by clearance. But if you check the atis on myflightroute.com you´ll get the active runway. Knowing that and where your route starts will help narrow it down. Som SIDs are jets only, so you can rule them out as well
Not necessarily so in the USA, my friend. You're better off planning and filing one as long as you meet the procedure's requirements but always be flexible.

The easiest way is to go to either Skyvector's IFR Route Analyzer or PEAware's City Pair and check to see what has been filed that matches your aircraft class. If nothing is there, you get to do the planning.
kleistad

Post by kleistad »

One learn something new every day, thank you :)
Kristoffer L.
N187KT