Boeing 737

Anders S

Boeing 737

Post by Anders S »

Hello.
I suppose it would be okey for atc now that I try to fly let's say the ifly b738 ?
From ksfo- klax with a fully equipped aircraft with fmc.
I am considering doing this on Monday.

Any idea what I should be prepping for except for sid star and freq. Change ? :-)
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Boeing 737

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

If you are comfortable with flying the aircraft and you are ok talking to ATC, you should be fine! Have fun!
Kyle Sanders
Anders S

Post by Anders S »

Yep. And I guess if I really mess up I can always disconnect or get better next time :-)

Will be fun trying at least :-)
Anders S

Post by Anders S »

Just wondered.
I guess Alphabet challenge that not all airports is not big enough for the b738 or is it any restrictions on that like in real life?
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Anders S wrote:Any idea what I should be prepping for except for sid star and freq. Change ?
Don't rely on the FMC too much, especially regarding VNAV. While it works ok for the climb phase most of the time, you should be prepared for doing the descent semi-manually with FLCH or VS modes, depending on the situation and/or ATC instructions.

You will often find yourself in a situation, where you need to descend and slow down simultaneously, which can be challenging in a jet. So always plan ahead and know your plane. :)
And of course have the current charts at hand and the matching AIRAC intsalled in the FMC, but crosscheck routing, speed and altitude restrictions nevertheless.
Anders S

Post by Anders S »

What airac is in use. Real world current ? I have navigraph airac. Is that the one I should use?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Current AIRAC. It looks like you're up to the I-3 in the I-ratings. If you continue to the I-5, you'll find a solid introduction to SIDs and STARs. If you jump in a 737, there is a level of expectation associated with flying transport category jet aircraft on the network. The standard is a little higher than flying training aircraft.
BFG

Post by BFG »

Anders S wrote:Just wondered.
I guess Alphabet challenge that not all airports is not big enough for the b738 or is it any restrictions on that like in real life?
Correct on the Challenge - there are some short strips and at least one dirt field. Better for GA aircraft.

That said, you might be able to do a variant of it by flying point to point and skipping some of the fields, or adding others from the expansion fields, military, etc.
Anders S

Post by Anders S »

Yep.
If I'm moving on to the learjet 45 first and that aircraft I know inside out and fly the Alphabet challenge with that and switch to a smaller aircraft to the smaller airstrip that should be good i guess.

Thanks for all the answers ;-)