KDEN runway assignments

Kilstorm

KDEN runway assignments

Post by Kilstorm »

Looking to base out of KDEN Terminal A Gate 57 (East side). Would like to get info about what to expect as far as runway assignments. My guess is that active North and South I would expect to be assigned to rwys 17/35's with al departing traffic leaving 17R/35L and landing traffic 17L/35R. When East/West is active just Runway 8/26 for my location on the field. Is that correct or is there a way to get a better understanding of what to expect as a general for traffic flows at KDEN to be better prepared?

Not sure how much ATC likes to assign actives to over fly non active runways like landing rwy 8 has the pilot flying over the 16/34's and taking off over them. Also since I look to operate out of the east part of Terminal A, in many cases runway 7/25 would be closer for taxi so would that runway be one to expect part of the time?
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
stealthbob

Re: KDEN runway assignments

Post by stealthbob »

Personally I start with this... http://myflightroute.com/craft.php?start=KDEN&end=

Along with the obvious of pulling the METAR I also look at the Live map and see what is happening.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Denver very much likes to have aircraft depart in the overall direction of their flight as much as possible as long as the wind cooperates. For most west bound travel, expect runway 25 for departure. Understand that if you're at the GA or Cargo ramp, you're not likely getting runway 25.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

I've flown in there about 6 times in the last two years and it's basically the same each time:

1. Departures on the west N/S runways (34's shorter taxi times, less time on the tarmac)
2. Arrivals on the east N/S runways farthest from the terminal (35's - exits are closest to terminal, plus allows for time to get the plane at your arrival gate moved out of the way)
3. West departures on the southern E/W runway
4. East departures on the northern E/W runway
5. All of the above thrown out the window when traffic and weather combine to make things busy/impractical for the standards.

Right now in RW they are north ops, arrivals on 35L, departures on 34L/34R an occasional 25 use
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge