EVGA GTX 1050Ti SC for $149.99 at Amazon

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
stevekirks

EVGA GTX 1050Ti SC for $149.99 at Amazon

Post by stevekirks »

I just snagged the GTX 1050Ti SC from EVGA for a cheap (?) $150 from Amazon, upgrading from a great GT640 in my current box. Going from 1GB VRAM to 4GB I hope is a game changer on X-Plane and will allow me to (finally) increase the cloud cover from 10% up to something more realistic. The card only draws 75W and is short enough to fit in almost any PC out there. I tend to be an incremental upgrader, but this new Pascal architecture from Nvidia sounds like a big jump, just like Kepler was for the GT640 I bought.

Anyone out there have a similar card? I also run FSX:SE and don't expect as big of a performance jump.

Core i5-4460 3.2GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 10 64bit
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Kyle.Sanders

Re: EVGA GTX 1050Ti SC for $149.99 at Amazon

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Great catch!
You aren't going to want X-Plane default clouds... go get yourself SkyMaxxPro!
Kyle Sanders
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Just got a shipping update: it will be here next week, much earlier than I thought. Looks like it's time to disassemble the sim and rebuild it. Maybe clean out some of the nooks and crannies. I really am kind of giddy here - I've never had a video card with more than 1GB of VRAM so this is like Christmas...
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge
dvlourie

Post by dvlourie »

Steve,

Let us know what you opinions are about the card. I ordered one yesterday and It will be here Monday. Replacing the GTX 660 so hoping for some decent improvements.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

dvlourie wrote:Let us know what you opinions are about the card. I ordered one yesterday and It will be here Monday. Replacing the GTX 660 so hoping for some decent improvements.
I'll do it for sure. I'm going to take some time today and pull some FPS readouts with XP settings for before/after.
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge
John Bakelaar

Post by John Bakelaar »

Take a look at xEnviro. Don't let the price turn you off, it takes the place of Real Weather Connector as well...so it's two pieces of software. It's much more realistic in that you can get what appears to be horizon to horizon coverage rather than the bubble of clouds that surround you with Skymaxx.
dvlourie

Post by dvlourie »

Happy to report that the GTX1050 is firmly in place in it's new home. Install was easy. Download drivers BEFORE install. Set it up and VERY happy to report (seriously) almost a 300% increase in performance. Now, I do have a Quad Core Processor, 36GB Ram (I know a waste for FSX) and run Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Before the new card at places like San Luis I was getting average 17-20 now getting high 50 and well into 60 FPS. I know FPS isn't the real deal breaker but system runs cooler, load times faster. Overall very happy. Still looking at some serious tweaking this weekend. (open to any reliable tweaks that you care to pass along) All in all, very happy I got the card. Big thanks to stevekirks for pointing this out in the first place. A very inexpensive upgrade if your PC needs a new life!
Last edited by dvlourie on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Finished my install before seeing the post from dvlourie - I did the driver update first, powered down, removed old card and inserted new. Reboot and zero issues. Getting 30 FPS at KLAX in the IXEG 733 Classic with rendering preset "high" and weather set for CATII minimums. Took off flew to KSNA and did the ILS 20R with no hiccups or slowdowns and...wow...

I mean...wow...pulling maybe 55W on the card at full load...PC RAM and processor usage are about the same. I've never seen the sim with some many objects before....I think I'm going to weep with joy.

If anyone has $150 to spare and have something in the 600 series and low VRAM...run don't walk to get this card.
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge
Turner

Post by Turner »

Just ordered one to replace a GTX 550 ti on an older system...

Dell XPS 8300
intel core i5-2320 cpu 3.00ghz
16gb DDR3 1333MHz

However, from my understanding, world objects are CPU-related rather than GPU... ?

Would this still increase performance based on objects?

thx
Andrew
Turner

Post by Turner »

Follow up: Wow.