[Jan 21 1730-2130 PST] Triple Bravo Blast

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

[Jan 21 1730-2130 PST] Triple Bravo Blast

Post by Keith Smith »

Returning to our monthly event schedule, The Triple Bravo Blast features PHX, LAX and LAS...IN ANY ORDER YOU LIKE. This is a great hybrid event that incorporates the Western US Expansion while still catering to ZLA-only subscribers.

What we're shooting for is a bunch of departures at the start, a healthy mix of concurent arrivals and departures at each airport during the middle and then arrivals at each airport at the end.

The 4 hour event window is long enough to bang out quite a few legs, too. This is primarily a jet-centric event as it's a bit tricky to support 3 Bravos as well as a turboprop/piston hub for the event as well, however, if you are a piston or turboprop driver, feel free to come and visit to/from the field of your choice! ZLA and Western US will be up and running at the same time as the event, of course.

Hope to see you guys there, let's see if we can get some criss-crossing traffic going...that's the most realistic congestion you can get!

Remember, the intention is NOT to have everyone gonig from LAX to LAS to PHX. The goal is to have some arrivals and departures happening at each of the 3 fields.
sidfadc

Re: [Jan 21 1730-2130 PST] Triple Bravo Blast

Post by sidfadc »

Great stuff I have not had the pleasure of flying in an event yet. I live in the UK so a 1730 pacific start means its well past midnight over here. Do you do events which start early PM pacific time are they usually in the evening?
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

Hi
Previous two events were at U.K. friendly times and were great.
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

We're aware that this isn't a convenient time for our European clients. Staffing events is a non-trivial undertaking as we don't yet have a full staffing compliment for Western US. Consequently, we are spread relatively thin on the staffing front for an event. We have another staffing sprint coming up in the near term for a commercial engagement which is taking up resources as well.

The result of this is that we can't always run events on a weekend morning/afternoon for the US (which would translate to a late afternoon or early evening event for Europe) with sufficient staffing. This is one of the cases.

Hang in there, you guys haven't been forgotten.
sidfadc

Post by sidfadc »

Thanks Keith, it wasn't a criticism simply an observation. :)

Looking forward to the next event I can take part in.
Landingperfect86

Post by Landingperfect86 »

Looking forward to it!
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

I'm planning on flying this in my B17 departing Bullhead VFR to KPHX full stop then VFR up to a low approach into KSEZ before landing at KLAS. Will be doing VOR to VOR pilot-age since I will be flying this in real local time. Since I've never flown the B17 on PE and am using the tail number N25432 I am interested in hearing any advice as to things I should be doing or plan on expecting for this event. Example, if I call up for Flight Following and plan on heading east out of Bullhead to the Drake VOR DRK before heading south into PHX, would I make a call referencing DRK or just request Flight Flo to PHX and if asked provide my Flight Plan?
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
gsuoumu

Post by gsuoumu »

Darn. The iRacing 24 Hours of Daytona are this weekend and I'm already slated for that.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Kilstorm wrote:I'm planning on flying this in my B17 departing Bullhead VFR to KPHX full stop then VFR up to a low approach into KSEZ before landing at KLAS. Will be doing VOR to VOR pilot-age since I will be flying this in real local time. Since I've never flown the B17 on PE and am using the tail number N25432 I am interested in hearing any advice as to things I should be doing or plan on expecting for this event. Example, if I call up for Flight Following and plan on heading east out of Bullhead to the Drake VOR DRK before heading south into PHX, would I make a call referencing DRK or just request Flight Flo to PHX and if asked provide my Flight Plan?
It's cool that you're flying a B-17, but it doesn't really change the interaction that will take place. ATC cares about which way you're heading and where you're ultimately trying to go so they can determine who to hand you off to and whether you'll clip someone else's airspace or not.

In your case, whether you go direct or via DRK doesn't change the fact that you'll be getting handed off to Albuquerque Center once LA Center is done with you. I would simply request FF to PHX at whatever altitude you'd like and leave it at that. If there were more sectors involved (not something you could easily determine), the controller might ask you how you're planning on navigating to PHX, in which case you'd say, "via Drake."
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Thanks Keith. Did my first demo flight last night with the B17 on PE in VR. Was trying to ferry the FSE B17 down from KBFI for the event but about an hour an a half into the FLight the sim crashed as I was trying to make tweaks on the fly (ha! pun). I couldnt get the radio in the A2A to switch to a correct freq so I had to install the GTN750. However, I replaced the default 2D radio with the GTN one and in doing so lost my ability to select NAV 1 or Nav2 for the planes radio directional finder or whatever that gauge is called. So I had to then go new school and use the GTN for naviation which isnt bad but I like the old way too. Then there was the auto pilot C1 issue, the CoPilot voice addon issue...

I think I got it all worked out and looking forward to flying later today! Fingers crossed.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA