Another CAT10 question

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
webstalle

Another CAT10 question

Post by webstalle »

The CAT10 Scenario requires to land at KVNY and IMMEDIATELY start the second flight southbound via Coastal Route.
What does IMMEDIATELY mean? Just a touch and go? A fulls top with taxi to the ramp?

Friedhelm
XP 1153, Win 10 64bit
FAA PPL
I-11, CAT-11,
A2Z ZLA #35, WUS #13, AZ #5
4x( i9-9900k), 4 x nVidia 2080 Ti/1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4) CLS-E-Yoke/Rudder, VTF G1000
http://www.twitch.tv/webstalle
XP Settings: Effects: Max, Text: max, 4xSSAA, Obj: High, Ref: High
ridikamus

Re: Another CAT10 question

Post by ridikamus »

The transcript at the bottom of the CAT-10 page indicates a full stop landing and taxi to parking. When I did the rating flight, I parked, set up charts and frequencies for the next flight, then called up clearance for the second leg.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It means you can't disconnect and come back to do the second flight at a later date, it's too hard to administer the rating otherwise. You can taxi to the ramp, shutdown, gather your thoughts for the next leg and then call for taxi.
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

Just completed the CAT 10 yesterday after two failed attempts.

The tricky bits to me were the frenetic activity between Hawthorne and swapping to LA tower and giving them an ident - before hitting the Bravo area.

And then leaving Santa Monica frequency early enough to book in with KVNY tower "to establish two way radio contact" before hitting their class D airspace.

EDIT - oh and pressing AltSel. Arrived at Bravo and controller sweetly asked me what's your altitude? 2500 I replied and then checked the gauge and saw me soaring through 5000. Fail!
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Dean, I mean no disrespect and only hope to help open your eyes to the simplicity of the items described challenging in your scenario. Also, I was not your controller so I can't speak as to how the exam went.

Coming from HHR to LAX, find the 105 Freeway. It's just south of LAX and really hard to miss. IDENT or not, don't overfly the 105 until you hear a clearance to enter the LAX Bravo airspace. Fly circles if you want to.

After leaving SMO heading to VNY, there is no reason you need an early frequency change to make that transition possible. Depart the SMO airspace to the NW making sure to remain outside the Burbank Charlie airspace. Wait for your opportunity to reach VNY tower and make your call. Nobody says you have to fly direct to VNY without turning or adjusting your path.

To me, it sounds like you put a path to follow in your GPS and aren't comfortable deviating from that path. Would you have busted the Bravo airspace if LAX Tower wasn't able to clear you into the Bravo airspace right away (what if there was an aircraft flying the opposite direction in the mini-route)?

If you don't think you could pass the test on the first time everytime, I challenge you to fly it again. Don't script your flight. Always remember that VFR flying is using your eyes and your knowledge of the airspace, not following a prepared line. Take your time and look at the scenery, identify landmarks so the next time you fly, you help your positional awareness.
Balu0

Post by Balu0 »

Cat 10 can be tricky, when I did it the controller had some connection issue and went silent for about 3 min, I was about to leave LAX on the 2nd leg, and had to get my confirmation and contact the class D to enter as well. I was stuck between "a rock (lax) and a hard place (calss D) " :D I was circling on the edge so hard I think I should have got a CPL checkride "steep turn" part a pass :twisted: But since I did not penetrate any airspace I got a pass. It was fun :D
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

Thanks Marcus.

Your comments are 100% appreciated. While I never fly VFR with the GPS on it is true I use the autopilot too much. Need to get more time 'hands on stick' and eyes ahead.

To be fair, my first fail was a time when (and it may have been you) the controller was extremely busy - early Saturday your time and it was difficult to get a transmission in.

And then it didn't help I was flying the Beech Baron flat out at 180 kn when I should have picked something slower whilst a little bit rusty on the Bravo transitions.

Your best advice is obviously - practice practice practice – should be able to do these transitions with eyes closed (not literally).

After a little bit of upcoming PMDG time I think I need to be criss-crossing the Bravo repeatedly to improve proficiency.

Thanks again :)
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
wesyin

Post by wesyin »

Dean33 wrote:Thanks Marcus.

And then it didn't help I was flying the Beech Baron flat out at 180 kn when I should have picked something slower whilst a little bit rusty on the Bravo transitions.
I'd share a trick for the Baron autopilot to do 360 holds while waiting for clearance. Assign a button on your yoke/stick to CWS (control wheel steering). When you're at the right altitude and want to start the 306, activate ALT HLD and de-activate any HDG or NAV mode. This puts the autopilot in the Wing Level (a silly name for Bank Hold) roll mode. Press and hold the CWS button and turn left or right to 30 degrees of banking, and release the button. You will see the Baron maintaining the bank and altitude and keeping circling. Be aware that it may drift by the wind.