Integrated ATIS for Pilotedge

onevim

Integrated ATIS for Pilotedge

Post by onevim »

Hello Fellow Pilotedgers!

Hope you're all loving this service as much as I am. I wanted to ask the community about the integrated ATIS service on Pilotedge. Every so often, the topic comes up and I wasn't sure if any progress has been made. ATIS currently comes from our "local flight sim (XP, FSX, etc). However, this ATIS has nothing to do with the actual ATIS that the Pilotedge controllers are using. There is a 3rd party service called MyFlightRoute.com that offers this service currently, but it is in a webpage and is not accessible "in sim" (by tuning your radio to it). An in-sim option would ensure controllers and pilots are flying to the same sheet of music (same information code, same weather, same active runways, same everything).
Keith Smith

Re: Integrated ATIS for Pilotedge

Post by Keith Smith »

yes, this is the on roadmap. There are a few technical challenges to overcome, such as disabling the in-game ATIS first, which is actually harder than it sounds in some cases.

If we do this, it's going to be all be done server side so that all clients will benefit from it rather than having to code support for it into the P3D/FSX client, separate to Xplane, separate to DCS, and then separate to the custom builds that we've done.
onevim

Post by onevim »

That's great news to hear, Kevin! As a software engineer myself, I can sympathize with the technical challenges. Everything is a lot harder than it looks! Looking forward to seeing this in action once it's ready.
onevim

Post by onevim »

Ah! If it wasn't obvious, I didn't have my reading glasses on this lazy Sunday morning. My apologies Keith!
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

I'm sure many use add-on's like AS16 or ASN, as I do with FSX. I tune my radio (com 1 or com 2) to the published ATIS and get real world wx that is VERY close to the actual ATIS wx. The active runway info needs to be ignored but I always use it on departure and arrivals for ceiling info and baro settings. I also cross check with ForeFlight since I'm online (in RW flying I built a Stratux ADS-B receiver to get wx on my ForeFlight enroute). How would a PE server side ATIS disable things like ASN?
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
Thomas_Horn

Post by Thomas_Horn »

The easiest way would be to deactivate the "voice volume" in the simulator, at least for P3D this is just one mouse click. Of course it has to be done on the client side, but I would not have a problem doing that...
It is actually demanded by all off-line ATC programs like Radar Contact, PF3 etc.

Thomas
X-Plane 11.32, Windows 10, 4.8 GHz 7700K, 16 GB RAM. 4K 55'' Screen resolution with Nvidia GTX 1070. ELITE and PFC flight controls
onevim

Post by onevim »

Just pinging this thread. Didn’t know if there was anything to see here or to keep moving along. ;-)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steps are being taken on the development side. When there's an update, I'll post it.
uncertifiedpilot

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

Great. This would be a really nice update!
I use flight simulator to get Instrument Rated: www.uncertifiedpilot.com
Join my live streams on Twitch
Watch my previous flights on YouTube