DesktopAviator Garmin 430 head unit

sono

Re: DesktopAviator Garmin 430 head unit

Post by sono »

Keith Smith wrote:The software helps a lot, the freq changes are much more comfortable now. I love it.
That is good to know but what is the software you refer to please
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The programming tool on their web site, same page as the product detail page for the hardware.
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Keith Smith wrote:The software helps a lot, the freq changes are much more comfortable now. I love it.
Keith, what did you end up changing your settings to on that software, I think default is 120ms and 1:1? Also if you would be as so kind, is there a way to change the comm freq so they are not as detailed so when changing freqs it doesnt take as long to dial up or down because the fractional mhz are rounded more? Not sure if that can be done in XP11 or this GPS or what but would like to try.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The next build of the PE plugin will override the Garmin 430 bottom left knob to do 25KHz spacing (that's what you're asking for, rather than the 8.33Khz spacing that's there now).

In the short term, if you're not worried about tuning the VOR so much, then map the DesktopAviator lower left inner knob to the com1 stdby fine frequency up/down (25khz) commands. Then, map two keys on the keyboard or joystick to manipulate the fine portion of the NAV stdby freqs (so you can still tune a VOR or LOC if need be).

For the settings, I settled on timing that was about half way down the list, or maybe 1-2 notches closer to the fastest timing. The pulse code width didn't change much for me, it was all about the timing in milliseconds.
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Thanks Keith! Yeah I have a GoFlight Multi radio module that I have assigned for Comm1, Nav 1 and Xponder so with your help, I did what you said and now have my 430 more Comm freq user friendly and have my GoFlight for a back up for both my Comm and Nav. loving life now! Especially with this new Bell 407 having auto pilot as it makes it easier to focus on the radio in VR (where I have to zoom in to see the number) and not return to a helo about to get out of control. I feared doing atc hand offs because after zooming in and loosing focus to my flying to read and dial in the next controller I would then have to return to a helo way above or below what I was wanting to be for my VFR flight and need to adjust that prior to my new atc check in call. That was so last now!
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Can this control comm/nav of radios that do not use the GNS430?
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
dinkotom

Post by dinkotom »

Hey Keith, would you mind sharing more details on what kind of software do you use to speed-up the frequency change inputs of the rotary encoders? Though I don't use DesktopAviator, I have the same issue with my home-built Garmin head. Thanks.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Ryan B wrote:Can this control comm/nav of radios that do not use the GNS430?
It is a usb input device, you can call any available xplane command you want.