Pilot Introductions

midlant2fly

Re: Pilot Introductions

Post by midlant2fly »

Hello all my name is Jamie - great group. Today is my first day on PE - what is the initiation for newbies? I only fly in XP, although my military career allowed me to train in some great a/c like SH60s, P3's and Tomcats back in the days of Tailhook and when Miramar was Go Navy!

I am an unintentional collector of flight sim editions (sadly) as my first flight was in gen1 Sublogic on C64 in the 80's before I could drive a car. Through the years I always enjoyed the hobby and have many random hours of student time, but never mastered the skillset to go RW PPL. Maybe I'll get motivated and go for it.

I'm out of KRIC in Richmond and live near KOFP in Hanover, VA. I tend to fly XP out of SoCal.

I will thank you in advance for PE, as I'm sure it will be awesome.

P.S. Thanks to catstrator on Twitch, I learned about SIMCON17 and trying to attend and meet some avsim junkies.

See you in the pattern - Jamie
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

midlant2fly wrote:Hello all my name is Jamie - great group. Today is my first day on PE - what is the initiation for newbies? I only fly in XP, although my military career allowed me to train in some great a/c like SH60s, P3's and Tomcats back in the days of Tailhook and when Miramar was Go Navy!
Hey Jamie - Go Navy! I was career Naval Aviation and did my early flying at Miramar, Tomcats. Now retired and flying Pipers & Cessnas RW and on PE to stay as sharp as I can. Welcome to PE, you'll love it.
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

what is the initiation for newbies?
Say hello here, get yourself up and running, then do the 'first flight' and CAT ratings if you're looking for a structured program. Otherwise, do whatever flights float your boat!

I started on the C64 in the early 80's too. In fact, it was the Vic 20 before that. I wish we had the Tomcat thing in common, that must've been a dream to fly. That said, I'm glad you found another Tomcat driver here on the forum in the form of bbuckley!

Welcome to the network, enjoy!

Also if you hang out along VR1257 starting at Priest VOR (ROM), there's a 3-ship of F/A'18's (BEEF out of Lemoore) that come haulin' through there every 5-10 mins on a 500+ mile run. You would likely enjoy following them. I'd recommend the F-4 Phantom that comes with XP (that's what the drones were actually recorded with in the first place). That should bring back your low level days :)
Ryanking44

Post by Ryanking44 »

Hello everyone! Brand new to PE, although I've been following it for a while. I'm a RW pilot and I work in the aviation industry. I was also a controller (realworld) for about 2 years in Detroit and previously a VATSIM controller up until my time at the academy started. If you have any questions about Avionics, I'm your guy!

Cheers!
Ryan King
Avionics Sales and Marketing Manager - KSRQ
http://www.sarasotaavionics.com
klcsrv

Post by klcsrv »

Hello Everyone my name is Kevin. Been on PE for a few months and finally got the nerve to start the CAT program. I'm originally from Florida and have been living and working in Abu Dhabi, UAE for 9 years doing ATC. PE gives me the ability to experience things from the other side of the microphone. I'm now motivated more than ever to get a PFL when I decide to return to the states.

P.S. The controllers are awesome on this network!!!!!!
kcpilot

Post by kcpilot »

Hello!

Many already know me as I have been around for a bit but never introduced! My name is Brett and I currently reside in Kansas City. I'm going 15 years strong with Flight Sim and about 4-5 with Real World. Aviation is my second passion and hobby as my main passion and career belong in technology where I am a Director of Information Technology and Security for a financial capital investment firm! Happy Flying!
Blueskies and Happy Flying!
- Brett L

|:| N930BL |:| N390BL |:| N402KC |:| "MEDEVAC" N911CM |:|
Winstonc

Post by Winstonc »

Hi guys, I thought I would do a quick intro.

I am not a real world pilot but have played around with simming on and off over the years.

Last year I built a complete Boeing 737-800 FBPT using mostly Flight Deck Soulutions greats components. I have also spent a lot of time learning all the procedures involved with flying the 737.

I have tried most of the software based ATC add-ons for Prepar3d, but they all have there limitations and frustrations and I have always know that PilotEdge was the direction I really needed to go, but always felt a little intimated with using real ATC. I have just signed up for the service and will see how I get on.

I have added a couple of photos as well as a link to one of my video flying from my YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/1gugqfKwUk0

David
Attachments
E5334511-B84B-4EB8-874B-6D33C0BD22DD.jpeg
E5334511-B84B-4EB8-874B-6D33C0BD22DD.jpeg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 17503 times
7385B5E2-92A0-4854-BE15-3EDFAA73037B.jpeg
7385B5E2-92A0-4854-BE15-3EDFAA73037B.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 17503 times
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

David,

That is quite a sim! There are a couple of other full size 737 sims connected to PE as well, but not very many. It seems a shame to fly a sim with that level of fidelity without realistic ATC, so I'm glad you're making the leap here!

Let us know how you get on!
Winstonc

Post by Winstonc »

Thanks Keith.
norman99

Post by norman99 »

Hi everyone.

My name is Michael. I've been using flight sim since v5.1. and whilst I've never used any online ATC, I've been on and off FSEconomy since 2008. That's where I first heard about PE. I'm also a RW airline pilot currently flying a 777 out of Hong Kong. Before that I spent almost 10 years flying GA IFR in northern Australia on Cessna Caravans, twins (402, 404 etc) and B200 King Airs.

I'm planning on doing some RW VFR flying in the L.A. and San Diego are when on my LAX layovers this year. I'm not yet sure where I'll be flying out of, but as we stay downtown, Santa Monica, El Monte or Hawthorne are the most likely locations. If I get a long enough stay, I'd love to fly down to San Diego for the night, as my sister has just moved there.

I hope to use PE to get really familiar with the area, its airspace, and communications procedures. Its been 10+ years since I've flown VFR and its seems I've picked the most complicated/busy airspace in the world to give it another go so PE is an absolute godsend in helping me prepare properly.

Ultimately my goal is to get comfortable enough with the area that I only need one or two RW flights to get checked out on a rental, rather than 3 times that many.

Anyway, thanks for truly remarkable service, and I hope to see and hear some of you in the skies shortly.

Cheers, Michael.