I can handle navigation, how do I fly the damn plane?

Keiyn

I can handle navigation, how do I fly the damn plane?

Post by Keiyn »

After watching all of the pilot edge workshops (relating to VFR) and spending countless hours researching a myriad of things related to VFR navigation, airspace, sec charts, ATC comms etc etc I am very comfortable planning VFR flights correctly and communicating with ATC. I putter around in my Skyhawk and have a great time on PE, but I feel I'm being held back considerably on the realism by not knowing how to properly operate the damn airplane. Flaps? I hardly every use them and just throw 10 degrees down sometimes when landing not having a clue if I should be doing that. Proper climb rates and airspeeds? I have no idea, sometimes I full throttle it the whole trip, it works I guess. When to lean the mixture? When to use what beacon lights? How to operate and utilize all the instruments? Nope, nope, and nope. Can someone link some good full guides about operating airplanes and proper procedures? I'm just a hobby sim pilot so a more laid back guide vs an intense manual will suffice just fine, and at the very least will give me good ground to build on and research topics myself.
Dean33

Re: I can handle navigation, how do I fly the damn plane?

Post by Dean33 »

Hi Keiyn

Suggest you spend some time on YouTube and search for tutorials for the Skyhawks and similar.
You'll get more than enough guidance there - make brief notes of the main points.

Also search for Checklists and print them out. I had mine laminated which really helps.

Cheers
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Here you go... free flight school for your sim:
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/fo ... rn-to-fly/
Kyle Sanders
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

The FAA's Airplane Flying Handbook is a pretty good place to start. It's free: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... ndbook.pdf

For aircraft specific procedures and techniques, search for a Pilot's Operating Handbook. Most aircraft POH's can be found in PDF form with a google search.
Keiyn

Post by Keiyn »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:Here you go... free flight school for your sim:
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/fo ... rn-to-fly/
This is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!
BFG

Post by BFG »

Next step, real world PPL training!
huseyydemm

Post by huseyydemm »

Hi guys,
Do you have some useful app or websites for PPL practice?
I've already start to learn, but i have no instructor, and it is simple autodidact mode.
Could you help me?
Thanks