Best L.A. & San Diego Scenery?

norman99

Best L.A. & San Diego Scenery?

Post by norman99 »

Hi everyone. I’ll be doing some real world flying later in the year, and I’d like to know peoples opinion on what is the best scenery for becoming familiar with VFR in the L.A. basin and down to San Diego. Seems to be between Orbx and Megascenery. I’m aware of the differences between the two, but curious to here from users that may have used either.

Secondly, if MegaScenery is the way to go, would Ultra Res L.A./San Diego on top of the new MSEarth v3.0 Socal be the best setup? I've heard good things about MegaSceneryX Southern California too, but it seems like an older product so the comments may be out dated. To be honest, I’m kind of confused about all their different versions. Also, is Aerosoft US Cities X an option? From what I gather its less photoreal content, but includes autogen.

P3D v 3.0 currently if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Michael.
Tim Krajcar

Re: Best L.A. & San Diego Scenery?

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Moved to P3D forum.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

norman99 wrote:Hi everyone. I’ll be doing some real world flying later in the year, and I’d like to know peoples opinion on what is the best scenery for becoming familiar with VFR in the L.A. basin and down to San Diego. Seems to be between Orbx and Megascenery. I’m aware of the differences between the two, but curious to here from users that may have used either.

Secondly, if MegaScenery is the way to go, would Ultra Res L.A./San Diego on top of the new MSEarth v3.0 Socal be the best setup? I've heard good things about MegaSceneryX Southern California too, but it seems like an older product so the comments may be out dated. To be honest, I’m kind of confused about all their different versions. Also, is Aerosoft US Cities X an option? From what I gather its less photoreal content, but includes autogen.

P3D v 3.0 currently if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Michael.
I'll take a shot at it but I don't fly SOCAL in RW (my RW flying is Florida and SE US) so I can't say what gives the best representation for VFR.

I've used both MSE and Orbx for flying SOCAL on PE. MSE is the Ultra Res LA / San Diego over MSE X So Cal. Orbx is the Global + Vector. I also have Pacific Northwest and other regions but I don't have Orbx SOCAL because it's pretty intense and hard on FPS. The photoscenery of MSE would provide the closest real world VFR representation depending on age of the scenery. But if you have Orbx Vector it gives an accurate representation of rivers, roads and coastlines etc. I personally now use the Orbx products. BTW, I'm on P3D v4.1. Not sure that helps much...
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
norman99

Post by norman99 »

Thanks Bruce, that helps a lot.

I've just downloaded MSE v3.0 SOCAL, with a 30 day return so I'll give it a try. As for the two MegaScenery titles you mentioned, I wasn't sure which was the higher quality product. They both seem to cover a similar area (LA & SAN TAC effectivly), but I assume the Ultra Res is better, as you have it above the MegaSceneryX title, so I think I'll go that route too.

Cheers, Michael.