[Sat Jan 20] Salt Lake City Takeover: PHX, SFO or SEA to SLC

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

[Sat Jan 20] Salt Lake City Takeover: PHX, SFO or SEA to SLC

Post by Keith Smith »

PE monthly events are back!

This one doesn't have a specific start time, but we will be planning for everyone to arrive within the 30 minute arrival window (1pm - 1:30pm PST).

Next month's event will be ZLA-centric, after which we'll continue to alternate each month between WUS and ZLA to give everyone a chance to participate in events, regardless of their subscription type.

Some distance info and routes for your planning:
PHX - SLC: 441nm. FlightAware routes show QWENN5 or DELTA5 RNAV arrivals depending on SLC landing north or south. (EDIT: as of 3hrs before the arrival window, SLC is landing north, so plan for the QWENN5)

SFO - SLC: 520nm. Flightaware routes show the WAATS5 since the STAR serves all configurations.

SEA - SLC: 598nm. Flight aware routes show the SKEES5 since the STAR serves all configurations.

Everyone in the newly released FlyJSim 737-200 for X-Plane 11 should look at the non-RNAV alternatives.

You may opt to use a different departure airport within the Western US coverage area, of course, however if your goal is to enjoy seeing/hearing other nearby traffic from start to finish, then utilizing one of the published departure airports will be the way to go.

Hope to see you there!
mmerelles

Re: [Sat Jan 20] Salt Lake City Takeover: PHX, SFO or SEA to

Post by mmerelles »

nice! count me in.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Still not doing airliners (really should try!), so will do a shorter trip in a turbo-prop GA, and will aim to arrive at the appropriate time. Will probably use runway 35, as the GA area is alongside.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

flyingdrill wrote:Still not doing airliners (really should try!), so will do a shorter trip in a turbo-prop GA, and will aim to arrive at the appropriate time. Will probably use runway 35, as the GA area is alongside.
Yes, if you're flying GA, you'll get 17/35.

A quick note about start times...while we don't have a formal start time (we only have a published arrival window), we'll be ramping up the staffing starting at 11am PST, 2 hours before the arrival window starts. The longest published leg is SEA-SLC at ~550nm, so that should be plenty of time.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

SLC is in north ops today and forecast to remain the same throughout the day. Plan for the QWENN5 arrival if coming from PHX. The SKEES and WAATS arrivals from SEA and SFO are runway independent.
mmerelles

Post by mmerelles »

This is an insane event, 80 aircrafts heading into KSLC at the same time. Wouldn't like to be a PE controller, they are performing amazing, high skills! :P
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2018-01-20 a la(s) 14.22.37.png
Captura de pantalla 2018-01-20 a la(s) 14.22.37.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 12167 times
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

What a great fly-in, what a crummy fly-in.
Great: P/E was "da bomb" Excellent, expeditious. Chase ran a clean, quick departure out of Phoenix.
Listening to the sequencing was fun. Getting delayed added to the realism. The unexpected hold was a blast. Declaring min fuel was sweet.
Crummy: Stupid, rotten, insidious, annoying disconnect. Plus I seemed to have dissimilar info between what I was cleared, the LDA, and what approach was seeing. The CDI was not agreeing with the control instructions. I'll have to goof off with it offline to see what the deal was.

To all the PilotEdge Staff:
Thank you. ;)
I look forward to more.
This space intentionally left blank
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Mudhen. If you were using X-Plane, you may have experienced a problem with mis-dentification of the R35 localiser, where the correct frequency initially reads another localiser, giving you a completely erroneous CDI deflection! A bit further down the approach, the correct localiser is identified, and the CDI springs back to where it should be. This is very strange. I also got an incorrect ID for the EHK VOR, and that did not put itself right, even though, in this case, the CDI and DME readings were as expected for where I was. A Navigraph or X-Plane problem??? Not sure what was wrong, as it's not something I'd noticed before, elsewhere. I was in an Aerobask Epic 1000 Skyview, and I had tried the LDA earlier in the day. I was expecting that approach for the event, but was actually given the ILS 24R! A lot of work in the hectic environment, and a lot of fun!
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

It was quirky. I use FSX.
I approached from Fairfield VOR, had good i/d, dme, and no apparent anomalies.
The cdi was to the right, as it should be, but approach swore I was to the right of the final.
Then I was disconnected so it didn’t matter at that point. It was a drag to go through the prep and flight only to be tossed by my crummy internet.
This space intentionally left blank
MervA

Post by MervA »

Wow !!

Ok, so I hopped back into the tin can for the big event, still trying to brush off the cob webs flying the 737.

Then flying into Salt Lake City . . . . what the heck sort of weather is this, moderate turbulence,
no kidding Dr Jones, did i hear correctly that someone saw Mr K.S. pressing all the [T] for turbulence buttons
on his scope, with a gleeful grin on his face.
All kidding aside, I rarely get the chance to participate in the events that PE do, so I was more than happy when I got the chance this time round.

I had a great time. and manage not to bend my aircraft in the process.

PE Controllers, you did a great job, well done and thanks.

Merv
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7 9700K 4.9 Ghz | BeQuiet Fan Cooler |32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Nvidea GTX 2080 Ti 11GB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB x 2 | 2 x Acer XB280HK 28" 4K/2K G-Sync Monitor