Where did this knowledge come from?

AZJim320

Where did this knowledge come from?

Post by AZJim320 »

I have recently got back into Flight sim after almost 20 years. I have been very impressed with the level of realism. I have also learned that l am somewhat of an enigma because I am a real world major airline pilot. I recently talked to a flight attendant who is a flight simmer and former vatsim controller. He said he knew of only two airline pilots in this hobby. I know many have real world general aviation experience. I watch some of the streamers like Castrator and Jon Fly and many others and their level of understanding about Airline flying is beyond impressive. So I wonder where did this knowledge come from? I am always happy to offer my experience and answer any questions but with the exception of in-depth questions about the Airbus or B-737 I am not sure what I could add. Having a lot of fun, went from never thinking about airplanes on my day off to avid simmer in six months!
Jim
Scott Medeiros

Re: Where did this knowledge come from?

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Welcome Jim!
As a fellow airline pilot, and not flying much GA, it's incredible how quickly we can get rusty on GA flying. Simulators have gotten so realistic with scenery, PilotEdge ATC, and complex TAA GA aircraft, it's a great tool to use for any type of training, currency, and learning about the newest technology being put in GA aircraft. I personally use PilotEdge and FSX to run through AQP scenarios before going into the sim.

Besides using it as a tool, it's just plain fun to "hop into" a Bonanza and go zipping along the California coast and through the LAX bravo, without the huge credit card bill.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That would be the ultimate in realism, getting charged $200/hr+ for renting some of these GA singles. I can make that happen pretty easily if anyone is interested :)
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Keith Smith wrote:That would be the ultimate in realism, getting charged $200/hr+ for renting some of these GA singles. I can make that happen pretty easily if anyone is interested :)
Don't get any ideas Keith! Unless that $200 comes with a descent hamburger.
w6kd

Post by w6kd »

Scott Medeiros wrote: Don't get any ideas Keith! Unless that $200 comes with a descent hamburger.
I prefer cruise hamburgers, personally, just too busy in the descent to eat... ;-)

Bob Scott
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

AZJim320 wrote:...I watch some of the streamers like Castrator and Jon Fly and many others and their level of understanding about Airline flying is beyond impressive. So I wonder where did this knowledge come from?...
Trickledown effect.
Guys like you shared your knowledge with guys like us. Plus we searched the internet, bought books, watched YouTube vids, listened to Keith blab, etc.
I often wonder how well the pro simmers would do in r/w aircraft. I imagine they could program well, abuse the autopilot and generally work the systems, but without those benefits, I’m curious to know if they could hand-fly the airplane.
Now, that’s something you could teach! (Shared cockpit.)
Lates…
This space intentionally left blank
AZJim320

Post by AZJim320 »

Hey Scott, glad to see I am not the only Airline guy here. I also enjoy the GA flying and the old school INS and RadNav on the 727 and L1011. I have been on the Airbus the last 17 years and it makes you pretty lazy.
Mudhen I have thought about what it would be like to put some of these simmers in the real thing. I think people would be shocked how well they would do! It would seem much easier in some ways because there is motion, and no distractions from changing views moving switches with a mouse etc. I think to be a good simmer you also have to develop a gaming skill set. It is too bad because until a few years ago I use to do a little part-time work teaching sim for the A320 and B737 and could of actually made it happen.
Jim
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Jim, I went from the Airbus to the Maddog. :lol: That was quite a transition, I miss the comfort of the bus.

Mudhen, if you're ever in Atlanta, the Delta Air Lines museum has a full motion 737-200 sim you can fly. $425 for 45 minutes of flight time.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

w6kd wrote:
Scott Medeiros wrote: Don't get any ideas Keith! Unless that $200 comes with a descent hamburger.
I prefer cruise hamburgers, personally, just too busy in the descent to eat... ;-)

Bob Scott
Now that was funny! :lol:

Welcome to the network Jim! I'm equally amazed at these fellow simmers. Many non-pilots here are much better on the comms than the stuff I hear "real pilots" saying in real world ATC. I always think to myself, "that guy needs to get on PilotEdge and brush up". ;)
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
AZJim320

Post by AZJim320 »

Thanks Rod,
Scott that is a big change between those aircraft. We are having a bunch of flap over speeds at my company from guys transitioning from the MD80 to the bus. I will say the Rotate MD80 is one of my favorite sim aircraft to fly.
Jim