Drones of note...

Keith Smith

Drones of note...

Post by Keith Smith »

This will be one of the upcoming additions to the site, but for now...

There are now over 300 drones that fly on the network 24/7. Some of them are just downright fun to watch or fly alongside:

Civilian:
KAVX - 4 tour helicopters depart NW, SW, and SE/NE every 6 mins. The SE/NE flies down to the water and creeps upwards through a narrow valley leading back to the airport, great fun to follow. Lots of GA planes out of AVX, too, and one that does air work (stalls, steep turns, etc) out over the SE shore.

KGCN - 2 tour helicopters depart every 5 mins into the Canyon, along the river. They shutdown (as evidenced by the lights going out), have a quick picnic, and then depart back to GCN, but not before a bone shattering set of fast passes by some of the military drones that operate down on the Canyon floor

CPM - Compton is a drone hub with pattern work, VFR XC flights, VFR air work, sightseeing over Long Beach, and even a Lear departure.

Military: (oh mama...lots of these)
VBG - jet departures every 6 mins or so
RIV - jet departures every 6 mins or so
NID - virtually non-stop F18 departures and arrivals
NTD - scheduling was complex for this, intense departure and arrival phase once every 30 mins or so
NKX - departures and arrivals every 10 mins.
NLC - departures every 5 mins from 32R and occasionally from 32L
Tuba City (T03) - F15, 2 T38's, then 4 F18's depart every 5 mins
Grand Canyon West - F15, 2 T38's and 2 F18's arrive every 5 mins or so (the ones from Tuba City, minus 2 F18's that are...well, let's move on)

This is all going on 24/7 (you can find/follow airborne flights on the PE live map page).

I'll have detailed descriptions of the more interesting military drones with enroute speeds (for planning purposes).
Daddy O

Re: Drones of note...

Post by Daddy O »

Yep, I noticed the 356 drones, 3 controllers, and 4 pilots. I was formation flying with a pair of hornets out of Mogu when another fighter streaked right through our formation head-on. That was cool.
Hendy

Post by Hendy »

I have searched the forums hi and low and cannot find an answer...I was watching some military ai flying out of KNID, they look great as far as buzzing around goes, except all I see are beechcraft models. Is there a military ai modelset I need to install? I am using P3DV4.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The VIP modelset that we ship with has a F/A-18 included, and that's what the NTD drones are. The VIP model set has some issues with P3Dv4, so use them with caution. You might want to simply copy the vip.sms file and edit it to include the F/A-18.
Hendy

Post by Hendy »

Thanks Keith...For some reason the VIP modelset was not listed in the PE client...Did a quick re-install and now they are there and I confirmed they are correct now in the sim :D

Appreciate the help.