Flight plans

jimson

Flight plans

Post by jimson »

Is filing a flight plan required in PE if I simply want to take off and do some air work and return without any specific destination?
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: Flight plans

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Nope, you don't even need to file a flight plan at all if you're VFR
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

jimson wrote:Is filing a flight plan required in PE if I simply want to take off and do some air work and return without any specific destination?
I just want to make sure it's understood that the requirements for PE are no different than real world. So, a slightly better question would be, "is filing a flight plan required if I simply want to take off, do some air work and return without any specific destination?"

Shawn's answer is correct.

If you weren't familiar with r/w requirements, no problem, we can help with those all day long. If you're weren't sure about it from a PE perspective, then just assume, moving forward that with incredibly few exceptions, whatever you do in real life is what you'd do here as well in terms of ATC interaction.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Thank you for the info. I am a post solo sport pilot student and now want simulated controlled airspace experience. I am aware that in RL a VFR flight plan is not required. I may have misunderstood but, in checking out vatsim, I got the impression that a flight plan was always required there.

Am very much looking forward to learning on PE.
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

Will PE Aware record your flight if you do not file a flight plan?
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Depends if ATC creates a strip for you or not. Filing a VFR flight plan will result in a strip being created that PEaware will track.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Ren, in the real world, if you were to do pattern work at a towered airport, or fly between two airports without flight following, no strip would be generated.