long Distance Flight

FDXDave

long Distance Flight

Post by FDXDave »

Some of you are able to sit for 4 hours straight while doing a flight.
I've seen the youtube stream recordings. I physically can't sit at my computer
For more than roughly 2 hours without a break. So all my flights are roughly
200 miles or so for my airliners. So my air time is around 30-45 min. And my newly
Aquired Airbus 320 takes about an hour on the ground getting it set up for the flight.
So my question is if i wanted to utilize PE but on a longer flight. Say from PDX to SFO
( Almost 500 miles ) is it possible once I'm at cruise that i and the controller plan a "Check-In" location
Along the Route. Ie: select a WP close to my T/D and there i would check back in with the controller
and remain with them for the remainder of the flight? That would give me I'm guessing
Around a 30 min Break AFK. Or as a 2nd option, if you are required to be on the flight deck the entire
Time, are we allowed to sign off of PE then sign back on at around T/D. I know this method will
Require a new squawk code. But certainly people may expierece an internet drop then they just sign back
On while in the air. The latter suggestion though i do not think will log the entire flight on PEAware. If there is a solution available ill start planning
Some longer distance trips.
Thanks,
Dave
Marcus Becker

Re: long Distance Flight

Post by Marcus Becker »

I would say that both of those options are discouraged. Pilotedge strives to make as close to a real world experience as they can. Let me ask if you could make a 3rd option. Are you able to set up your flight up to push back and engine start and then take a 20-30 minute break? Your IFR clearance wouldn't go anywhere in that period of time. After your break, push back, start up, call ground for taxi and have yourself a flight.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Marcus Becker wrote:I would say that both of those options are discouraged. Pilotedge strives to make as close to a real world experience as they can. Let me ask if you could make a 3rd option. Are you able to set up your flight up to push back and engine start and then take a 20-30 minute break? Your IFR clearance wouldn't go anywhere in that period of time. After your break, push back, start up, call ground for taxi and have yourself a flight.
That's a good idea. Yep. I'll do that.
Thanks.
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Marcus already covered most of it, but since you asked: if you disconnect, then later reconnect using the same callsign and resume your flight within 60 minutes, without filing a new flight plan, your flight on PEaware will be resumed as well. Obviously you won't have any location datapoints from where you were offline, but it won't create a new flight or toss the old one as long as there's less than 60 minutes of gap, and you use the same callsign and don't file a different fp.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Tim Krajcar wrote:Marcus already covered most of it, but since you asked: if you disconnect, then later reconnect using the same callsign and resume your flight within 60 minutes, without filing a new flight plan, your flight on PEaware will be resumed as well. Obviously you won't have any location datapoints from where you were offline, but it won't create a new flight or toss the old one as long as there's less than 60 minutes of gap, and you use the same callsign and don't file a different fp.
Thanks Tim. I didn't know about the time restraint. I'll keep that in mind.
Dave.
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

Another option once you’re at cruise altitude would be to ask controller for permission to use 2 times time acceleration until Top of Descent. My available simming time is often limited so flying at 2 times in the cruise can save quite a lot of idle time without causing too much loss of experience. Controllers rarely object.
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Dean33 wrote:Another option once you’re at cruise altitude would be to ask controller for permission to use 2 times time acceleration until Top of Descent.
I have to say this is also discouraged. Controllers jobs are hard enough watching all that airspace alone adding this type of movement makes the airspace more unpredictable.