Question on Shortening Callsign for ATC During Readbacks

ccrepon88

Question on Shortening Callsign for ATC During Readbacks

Post by ccrepon88 »

Hello, all

I'm pretty new to PilotEdge. This is my first month of paid subscription, and have flown about 4 flights on it total, or 5. Two two days ago had two serious pilot errors, but thankfully that taught me a lot such as actually bother to review the SID instructions for your runway...don't just assume 'computer knows best', because you're happy you got the latest AIRAC cycle, hah. Maybe will post on the incident in a while.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's possible to shorten or even leave out a callsign during readback, at leaast once established with a controller for a few calls or so, and airborne of course. I typically fly American so I say "American" , and also typically four digit flights as I'm not prestigious enough for only 3 or 2...

Lately I use PilotEdge reciever so I can actually hear when there's dead air for me to chime in. Funny how when you first start doing that you think you're interrupting yourself, hah. SO yeah, there's my question - could I say, when getting radar vectors to final just readback "Turn right heading 080, forty five seventy" (AA4570), or simply read back without the callsign numbers? I'm guessing not .

Any tips otherwise on shortening up calls? I just learned not to say "with you" so I'm gonna have to drop that bad habit. Kept wondering why I'd hear another controller chime into my frequency other than the main one saying "I'm also with you!" in a joking tone, at least a couple times. (Maybe it was another pilot, not entirely sure but usually can't hear em). The other one I can think of is at least say 80 to 90 percent of the time, even in a *great* mood and working well with ATC , to just leave good day out. Also, to stop saying "going to [frequency]" Just read the frequency and the callsign, I' think. Going to actually type and print a one page reference for my ATC calls in the future, or even one I can generate which fills in my callsign per flight, so I can start getting used to some of those. Thanks for reading all this. ...Good day.
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Question on Shortening Callsign for ATC During Readbacks

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Looks like you are getting your $$$ worth here!
Take a breeze through this page. It lists a lot of common real world (mixed with sim world) mistakes/misunderstandings and addresses certain radio calls- https://rc.zlcartcc.com/Tips_For_Pilots
Kyle Sanders
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:Looks like you are getting your $$$ worth here!
Take a breeze through this page. It lists a lot of common real world (mixed with sim world) mistakes/misunderstandings and addresses certain radio calls- https://rc.zlcartcc.com/Tips_For_Pilots
"“Salt Lake City Clearance, DLH1234, ready to copy IFR clearance”
Good stuff. So I don't have to say the ATIS when requesting clearance?
I know you have to upon Taxi request. But I always thought you had to say your current with WTX or the Letter at the getgo..
.I guess it's really not even needed at that time anyway, considering your not ready to depart yet and the weather can change between clearance and taxi.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Good catch... it is not required universally but most facilities like you to have it before calling DEL. Especially JFK I hear. But it is absolutely required prior to taxi.
Kyle Sanders
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:Good catch... it is not required universally but most facilities like you to have it before calling DEL. Especially JFK I hear. But it is absolutely required prior to taxi.
Ah ok. I'll just stay with what I'm use to then and give the wtx twice. No biggy. Thanks.
ccrepon88

Post by ccrepon88 »

That's interesting. I was asking more about shortening my actual callsign in flight or even during CLD/GND comms, but that's probably not really possible or advisable. I have a bad habit of generally not saying I have information [A-Z] during clearance request or even taxi unless I'm asked about it... not sure why. Lately I am better with it, suppose. Also anyone else have this funny habit of requesting route clearance 'as filed'? Like almost every time? I do and it comes from too much 'AI' ATC in FS2004/FSX over the years. So then the controller on clearance thinks I literally mean as filed, exactly as filed, and I feel like a jerk for asking when I don't mind changes. What I tend to mean by 'as filed' is 'as you may note I've filed [a flight plan/route request]' or something along those lines :]
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Do not say, "request clearance as filed." We assume you've filed a flight plan, so it's redundant. While it's technically possible to pick up IFR clearances in Socal within the TEC route system without filing, requests for that are usually made as "request tower enroute to the [destination]," which tips off the controller that you haven't filed in that case.

If you're flying as AAL4540, then your callsign is "American Forty Five Forty." There is no shorter version than that.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

ccrepon88 wrote:That's interesting. I was asking more about shortening my actual callsign in flight or even during CLD/GND comms, but that's probably not really possible or advisable. I have a bad habit of generally not saying I have information [A-Z] during clearance request or even taxi unless I'm asked about it... not sure why. Lately I am better with it, suppose. Also anyone else have this funny habit of requesting route clearance 'as filed'? Like almost every time? I do and it comes from too much 'AI' ATC in FS2004/FSX over the years. So then the controller on clearance thinks I literally mean as filed, exactly as filed, and I feel like a jerk for asking when I don't mind changes. What I tend to mean by 'as filed' is 'as you may note I've filed [a flight plan/route request]' or something along those lines :]
If you haven’t yet... I strongly suggest reading this page- https://rc.zlcartcc.com/Tips_For_Pilots
You are making a lot of references to things that are covered very well on that page.
Kyle Sanders
ccrepon88

Post by ccrepon88 »

Keith Smith wrote:Do not say, "request clearance as filed." We assume you've filed a flight plan, so it's redundant. While it's technically possible to pick up IFR clearances in Socal within the TEC route system without filing, requests for that are usually made as "request tower enroute to the [destination]," which tips off the controller that you haven't filed in that case.

If you're flying as AAL4540, then your callsign is "American Forty Five Forty." There is no shorter version than that.

Thank you Keith. And also, just so I don't double post, I am reading that page that you've linked me to, Kyle (hope I didn't botch your name - not in front of me atm!) Thank you both, now I understand better and have cut out 'with you' from my phraseology so the next tic will be 'as filed' :p