Alternate airport

FDXDave

Alternate airport

Post by FDXDave »

So for the sake of realism, i have a question about procedures when you file a flight plan with an alternate. The 1, 2, 3 rule i think... Anyway,
So for the set up, lets say i am on final KSFO RUNWAY 28R. The CATII has a DH of113 DH feet i think. So i call miss due to heavy fog and climb then hold at VIKYU. So when i filed, i filed an alternate of KSMF. So now i know i can try to land again or head to my Alt. If i choose to go to the Alt, do i file a new full route IFR on the website? Or will the controller just tell me to go Direct to SMF? Or i could just use my A320 and Autoland CAT3. And be done with it. Lol

As a side question...why do we need to give a reason for calling a miss? If it's LIFR i guess it would be obvious. But i guess there is some kind of report the controller has to fill out in real life?...like advisories for other pilots...

Thanks,
Dave.
RyanK

Re: Alternate airport

Post by RyanK »

If you divert to an alternate you'll be given a new clearance with a new routing. It won't necessarily be direct, but you don't have to file a new flight plan either. You also don't have to go to your filed alternate. You can divert to wherever makes sense given the current situation. Filing an alternate ensures that you have an option where the weather and airport meet requirements, and that you have enough fuel to go there plus the 45 minute reserve.
FDXDave

Re: Alternate airport

Post by FDXDave »

RyanK wrote:If you divert to an alternate you'll be given a new clearance with a new routing. It won't necessarily be direct, but you don't have to file a new flight plan either. You also don't have to go to your filed alternate. You can divert to wherever makes sense given the current situation. Filing an alternate ensures that you have an option where the weather and airport meet requirements, and that you have enough fuel to go there plus the 45 minute reserve.
OK cool. So it's more about helping with fuel planning. Thanks for your answers.