Unable to Set PTT @ PE Client to FSX Yoke Mic Button

dengineer

Unable to Set PTT @ PE Client to FSX Yoke Mic Button

Post by dengineer »

After getting the PilotEdge Client to start properly and work with FSX I tried to set the PTT key in the Options - Voice Tab to the mic button on the CH Products yoke I'm using without success, however voice communication did work with ATC but using the left mouse key. Please advise.
Andrew Doubleday

Re: Unable to Set PTT @ PE Client to FSX Yoke Mic Button

Post by Andrew Doubleday »

Hey there,

Try mapping a spare button to the 'contact ATC' function just like you would map any yoke button to any other function in xplane (if that's the client you're using).

If you're using joker or a PTT software, open that software, then follow the instructions to map a key command to the yoke, and then map that key as your PTT in the client.

Let us know if that works for you.

[EDIT] Sorry, realize now this is FSX here we're talking, but as far as I know it should work about the same. Choose a key not used by FSX for any sort of critical commands in the sim, then follow the above procedure and that should work out about the same. With programs like joker, you can even set your PTT to ghost keys "F13-F24" which is great, because there aren't any functions in FSX that those keys could interfere with.
Andrew James Doubleday | aj@pilotedge.net
PilotEdge ATCS | University of North Dakota FAA CTI

Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There are two methods to map a yoke button to the PTT function in FS9/X:
1) you can use a 3rd party program to map the yoke press to a KEY press. Then, you map the KEY to the PTT function (this last step is done the PE client)

The tricky part is that the key-based PTT key can be unreliable in one circumstance....and it's a circumstance that comes up A LOT. If you run FSX as Administrator, it will swallow the keypress before PE can see it, and it won't trigger the PTT function. If you ALT-TAB over to the PE client and use the PTT key, it works fine (not very practical). The solution there is to make sure FSX isn't running as Administrator.

2) The PilotEdge client is derived from Squawkbox4, which has the ability to have the PTT function triggered via FSUIPC (a module that allows various programs to interact with FS9/X). If you purchase the REGISTERED copy of FSUIPC, you can map a yoke button to trigger the FSUIPC Squawkbox PTT commands, which are still honored by the current PE client.

So, in short, you can either use a third party app to map the yoke button to a keypress, or, you can use a registered version of FSUIIPC to map the yoke button to the PTT function.

option 3...install xplane, this stuff is a lot easier in that sim :)
dengineer

Post by dengineer »

Andrew & Keith,
Thanks for the advice but at this point I only want to operate the simulator not become the necessary expert with the computer hardware, software and communications protocols behind the simulator. Option 3 is looking pretty good right now so I took your advice and just ordered X-Plane. After I get it and load it and start over with the Pilot Edge client etc I may be back to you with questions. Thanks for all the help though I appreciate it. DJF
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Welcome to the light side of the Force... :-)

X-Plane is a superior sim in every aspect. I made the jump myself back in March and have not looked back for an instant.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

Great choice. There are a ton of people around here to help out if you have questions. You wont regret it.
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
dengineer

Post by dengineer »

Very much looking forward to it from all the hype I have heard. Thanks. DJF
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

We can help you get your PTT working in FSX via screenshare if you'd like. We just need to set a time.
maxlago

Post by maxlago »

I'd take on the offer to have a screen sharing session or over the phone conversation to see how to set up my yoke PTT to work.