[Mar 24 9am PDT] Nobody Goes to Fresno!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

[Mar 24 9am PDT] Nobody Goes to Fresno!

Post by Keith Smith »

It's time for the next monthly PE event. This month, we focus on the Western US with "Nobody Goes to Fresno!"

True to the name, Fresno is actually not featured in this event.

Aircraft doing more than 300KTAS (typically, jets) should depart between 9am-10am PDT (1600-1700Z) from Reno (RNO), heading to Seattle (SEA) or Boeing Field (BFI).

Aircraft doing less than 300KTAS (typically pistons, turboprops and some very light jets) should depart between 9am-10am PDT (1600-1700Z) from Glacier Park (GPI), heading to Boeing Field.

Preferred routes:
RNO-SEA: FMG8.FMG LKV.HAWKZ6 (Reno departing 16L/R, NON-RNAV)
RNO-SEA: PVINE3.HALLE WNDEL LKV.HAWKZ6 (Reno departing 34L/R, RNAV)
RNO-SEA: HNGRY3.FMG J5 LKV J67 BTG.OLM2 (NON-RNAV 34L/R)

RNO-BFI: FMG8.FMG J5 LKV J67 BTG.OLM2 (Reno departing 16L/R)
RNO-BFI: PVINE3.HALLE WNDEL LKV J67 BTG.OLM2 (Reno departing 34L/R, RNAV)
RNO-BFI: HNGRY3.FMG J5 LKV J67 BTG.OLM2 (NON-RNAV, 34L/R)

GPI-BFI: KILLY1.RIDDG GLASR.GLASR1 (RNAV)
GPI-BFI: SKOTT2.SKOTT V231 CHARL V120 MLP.GLASR1 (NON-RNAV)

Note: GPI only has 5 gates at the terminal. As such, we make 4 requests for everyone flying out of GPI:
1) Don't take a gate spot unless you're simulating an air carrier operation. If you're not simulating an air carrier operation, use a different ramp such as the FBO.

2) Please coordinate your gate occupancy via our Discord server in the #about_to_fly room. Here's a thread about the PE Discord.

3) Don't occupy the gate longer than is necessary

4) Assuming there are a limited number of initial locations to select from in your sim, consider manually relocating the airplane to a slightly different part of the non-movement area prior to connecting. This will minimize the chance of having someone connect on top of you.
jmfischer1

Re: [Mar 24 9am PDT] Nobody Goes to Fresno!

Post by jmfischer1 »

I am wondering what these two items in the GPI-BFI Non-RNAV routes are. SKOTT2.SKOTT & MLP.GLASR1
I found the Victor Airways and the CHARL and MLP waypoints but I can't seem to find these two. I want to fly this route VFR. I could wing it after MLP but I would love to do it the route that you posted.

BTW, Love your Real World Coast to Coast!
My next cross-country will have dark chocolate and turkey jerky! :)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Those are SIDs and STARs. They stand out because they're numbered. I would suggest viewing the workshops on those topics. If you're a RW Coast to Coast owner, then check out the fight from HND-LAX, that utilizes a STAR into LAX. Also check the LAX to CRQ leg immediately after which features a SID.

The I-5 rating in our I-Ratings series covers SIDs and STARs. The I-6 also uses a SID.

I would suggest making sure you're very familiar with them before attempting to utilize them during a busy event :)
jmfischer1

Post by jmfischer1 »

Thanks Keith! I shall do so!
I also will take a different route so I will not interfere with the IFR traffic.
Thanks for all that you and your crew do!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You're welcome. Are you going IFR or VFR? If you're going IFR, there 0% chance you will depart without being on one of the published SIDs.
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Wondering if we should/could do slot times for GPI since there is only a few gates there. Im planning on giving the Dash 8 a try on this flight so I would like to start from the terminal but with only 5 gates there I dont want to ruin anyones experience with start at the same spot as them.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
jmfischer1

Post by jmfischer1 »

I'm going VFR. I haven't had any IFR training at all.
I am interested in IFR quite a bit, but I'm not ready to commit to formal training. I figure that I could learn on my own and use it in the sim only. It will make my sim flight experience even more interesting and challenging.
deansalman

Post by deansalman »

cool, I wondered if VFR is ok. I have the SIDS and Instrument approaches down but not ready to try a IFR flight. Will take the C402C this time because it will make better time than the Twin Star.
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

jmfischer1 wrote:I'm going VFR. I haven't had any IFR training at all.
I am interested in IFR quite a bit, but I'm not ready to commit to formal training. I figure that I could learn on my own and use it in the sim only. It will make my sim flight experience even more interesting and challenging.
Agreed. I self-studied for IFR before doing my real world training and everything I learned in the sim carried over very well to r/w flying. I highly recommend our workshops, the I-ratings, and Rod Machado's Instrument Survival Manual
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

deansalman wrote:cool, I wondered if VFR is ok. I have the SIDS and Instrument approaches down but not ready to try a IFR flight. Will take the C402C this time because it will make better time than the Twin Star.
VFR is always an option.