When to announce position in the pattern?

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
toby23

When to announce position in the pattern?

Post by toby23 »

When do you announce your position in the pattern and when don’t you?

Example 1 - I have been cleared to land at a towered airport and instructed to advise on midfield downwind... Once I have entered the pattern and advised midfield downwind, do I need to call out Base or Final? Should I also callout when I enter the pattern using something like ‘Cessna 123AB entering pattern left downwind’? I know that I should be looking out for random traffic but is tower also monitoring my final approach and landing? It feels strange not announcing Base and Final at a towered airport as you would at a non-towered airport.

Example 2 - I have been cleared for takeoff at a towered airport with ‘exit left downwind’. After takeoff, do I need to callout when I turn onto the Crosswind or Left Downwind or when I am exiting the pattern?

I am trying to understand the differences between when you are supposed to callout your pattern position at a towered vs a non-towered airport.

Thanks,
Toby
Keith Smith

Re: When to announce position in the pattern?

Post by Keith Smith »

Don't announce pattern positions at towered airports unless advised by the tower. If you review the transcripts from the CAT ratings, that is reflected there.
toby23

Re: When to announce position in the pattern?

Post by toby23 »

Thanks. Have been referrring to the transcripts and wanted to check that no announcement is required.