Newcomers' question

yypp7

Newcomers' question

Post by yypp7 »

Hi! I've joined the network today. I'm a real life glider pilot and an flight sim enthusiast but I'm still a little bit anxious about my communication skills, so for now I will stay on the ground and learn.

I have a question though - can I log in to the network and perform a radio check with ATC? Besides being an aviation enthusiast I'm also a DIY guy and I would like to check the microphone that I've just pieced together. I've noticed that you are obligated to file a flight plane at the beginning of each flight (or am I wrong?) that's where my concern comes from. I would like to just log in at some airport, tune my radio and perform a check with atc, then maybe watch and listen to some traffic. Is it possible?
jx_

Re: Newcomers' question

Post by jx_ »

yes that's fine. There's no requirement to file a flight plan and there is nothing wrong with sitting on the ground listening. We also have a receiver you can download to listen to the radio without opening the sim.
yypp7

Post by yypp7 »

thank you!
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

Hi and welcome.

When I was starting out on Pilotedge I spent a lot of time sitting (with the handbrake carefully applied) listening and watching.
The best introduction is to watch some of the Youtube videos - CAT 1 etc.

Then connect and try it. No one will be irritated if you are a little green at first.

Personally, I can remember horrendous 'mic fright' at first and even now if I've had a few weeks offline I'm breathing deeply before connecting!

Pilotedge is a wonderful world - jump in!
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

I have done all the CATS and I still just sit and listen, both from within the sim on that machine and the receiver from my laptop.
And I still get 'mic fright' every time I fly up to that first squeeze of the ptt. After that it goes away.

When you hear others doing things right and sometimes not, it helps you. It all sinks in!

And "mic fright" , It's VERY real, even in a sim. (and when you mess up we will hear you, :lol: )

Bottom line... just do it!!
Last edited by RogerW on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
yypp7

Post by yypp7 »

Today after sitting for a while watching (and listening) other pilots, I performed a couple of patterns at Oceano. I was really scary, but at the same time, exiting experience. I felt that 'mic fright' all the way and the fact that I'm not a native english speaker only increases that feeling. But it was fantastic, PilotEdge really is a gamechanger. I'm sure I'm gonna stay here for longer:)