Audio

kevinsimpson

Audio

Post by kevinsimpson »

Hi,
I just did my first PE/FSE flight today after doing a bunch of ratings. It was fun experience and it reminded me of my first day of RL flying that happened to be out of a Class C airport so had to start listening to ATC day one. I had hard time understanding ATC and my instructor would do most of the talking and i would just try and write down the clearance and do the simple call backs. The VHF modulation is great but i had a really hard time understand the lady controller today. I had just hooked up my old David Clark headset for the first time and had not used my old headset since VHF was turned on. The lady was very patient and helped me get through it but she had to read back the taxi instructions several times and deal with a bunch of my other misunderstandings.

Everyone else seemed to have no issues so i just chalked it up to getting used to it. This continued for next hour or so and even when she read back slower it was still very difficult to understand due to the distortion. Once another controller came on towards the end of the flight it became clearer and i could also understand other pilots.

http://assets.pilotedge.net/recordings/ ... _17510.mp3

I listened to audio on my headset after and it was easy to understand. N419SF

So my question is what would make it this way. Is there something I need to adjust to help with this?.

Kevin
kevinsimpson

Re: Audio

Post by kevinsimpson »

Ok I think i have worked it out. i recorded some broadcasts that i was having trouble with and played them back on multiple devices and they all sounded distorted so it had to be the volume of what was coming in.

So I played around with the volume settings on the device in windows (this is connected to the mic/speaker on the mother board which i had never used before) and also the radio level in x-plane. i turned down the actual GA head set volume down and then started backing off the volume in x-plane until the distortion disappeared. I then used the head set volume to make volume adjustments (not windows its a GA headset) to adjust for different broadcast levels.

Prior to this i had used a USB headset.

So depending on the broadcaster mic level the distortion would be small to massive.

So hopefully i can now focus on understanding what i am being asked to do rather what are the words being said.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Might ask if you can get a copy of the old plugin. I kept my old one for those days i prefer clarity.
But for all i know there may be a setting I'm unaware of to adjust it.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The controller had a problem with the headset configuration, it's being looked into. I reviewed the recordings and noticed the audio distortion was there. The recordings don't utilize the new VHF distortion code, so that was unrelated. I also noticed the issue as we were at Oshkosh and had the audio playing over some loudspeakers.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

FDXDave wrote:Might ask if you can get a copy of the old plugin. I kept my old one for those days i prefer clarity.
But for all i know there may be a setting I'm unaware of to adjust it.
The old plugin wouldn't have helped him. The distortion was in the controller's transmissions due to some type of local interference or other issue in the local configuration.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Ah ok. Well that explained it. The new plugin is working great. I thought i would prefer the clear older version. But so far I'm not having any difficulty understanding what the controllers say. Probably took months to code. Nice work.
Dave