PE 1.5.0 - ATC can't hear me

mmcgrego

PE 1.5.0 - ATC can't hear me

Post by mmcgrego »

I'm using x-plane 11.25 (latest non-beta I think) on Mac OS High Sierra with all updates. I downloaded PE 1.5.0 and love the new audio processing. It's been a bit frustrating though as one flight is fine but on the next (after sim restart) ATC can't hear me. I've confirmed that even when I can't be heard the PTT is working as voices from PE transmissions cut out when I press joystick button. I've tried restarting sim, rebooting Mac, different aircraft and triple checked audio settings on Mac and PE client. The only thing I found that seems to work is to reinstall PE client but that only 'works' for one session. If I restart x-plane it's back to ATC not hearing my transmissions.

Any ideas?

Mike
mmcgrego

Re: PE 1.5.0 - ATC can't hear me

Post by mmcgrego »

bump

any ideas?
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

mmcgrego wrote:I'm using x-plane 11.25 (latest non-beta I think) on Mac OS High Sierra with all updates. I downloaded PE 1.5.0 and love the new audio processing. It's been a bit frustrating though as one flight is fine but on the next (after sim restart) ATC can't hear me. I've confirmed that even when I can't be heard the PTT is working as voices from PE transmissions cut out when I press joystick button. I've tried restarting sim, rebooting Mac, different aircraft and triple checked audio settings on Mac and PE client. The only thing I found that seems to work is to reinstall PE client but that only 'works' for one session. If I restart x-plane it's back to ATC not hearing my transmissions.

Any ideas?

Mike
Mike,

I don't want to be flippant, but I've reverted to v1.3.1 for now. I don't know whether I had the same problem as you (I'm also on an iMac with High Sierra), as I was, sadly, not impressed with the filtration in the new version. After a couple of tries in XP11 and XP10, in which I deleted and reinstalled the client in each sim, to see whether the audio was better, I gave up. I know a lot of people are happy with the sound, but there are others that I have discussed this with, in Twitch chat, who are not too happy either. I find the sounds too robotic and not quite "right". Maybe the mac.xpl does not behave in quite the same way as the win.xpl, but I note that you love the processing. Do you fly RW?

My other annoyance is that there is no ability to switch the processing on or off. So, if you are a newbie and/or a customer for whom English is not their first language, you could join the network and not have the opportunity to start your training with decent audio. If you are a RW student, you have an instructor next to you who will translate or assist in comprehending ATC. That will not be so in PE. As it stands, the only client you can now download has the processing. Fortunately, I have the older (as you will too - if only on Time Machine!). One of the many attractions of PE for me, was the audio quality.......

When I fly RW, I can cope with the limitations of AM VHF. I see no reason to have to struggle at all on PE. The extra immersion is of little importance to me, as is a lot of the emphasis now on eye candy reflections, etc. in XP11. However, I concede that I may well be in a significant minority! I'll look at v1.5.0 again a little later on - maybe when it's 1.5.1 ;)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

mmcgrego wrote:I'm using x-plane 11.25 (latest non-beta I think) on Mac OS High Sierra with all updates. I downloaded PE 1.5.0 and love the new audio processing. It's been a bit frustrating though as one flight is fine but on the next (after sim restart) ATC can't hear me. I've confirmed that even when I can't be heard the PTT is working as voices from PE transmissions cut out when I press joystick button. I've tried restarting sim, rebooting Mac, different aircraft and triple checked audio settings on Mac and PE client. The only thing I found that seems to work is to reinstall PE client but that only 'works' for one session. If I restart x-plane it's back to ATC not hearing my transmissions.

Any ideas?

Mike
If this is an audio transmission issue, then it really shouldn't have much to do with the new audio processing code as that is for inbound audio only.

If you have a chance, try removing the VSProSound.ini file from "resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources" before your next xplane restart (don't restart the whole client) and let me know if you still have transmission issues. Also, drop us an email at support@pilotedge.net. We're much better able to track those.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

FlyingDrill,

Try not to hijack other people's support posts. I'll try to build an option to enable/disable the filtering in the UI. At the very least, I can make it a config file option. The sound appeared to work well for me on the Mac. I agree that it might be a little more tinny than r/w (depending on your exact audio config on the computer and in the real life airplane), but even with that, I'd argue it's a lot closer than the clean audio was.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Keith Smith wrote:FlyingDrill,

Try not to hijack other people's support posts. I'll try to build an option to enable/disable the filtering in the UI. At the very least, I can make it a config file option. The sound appeared to work well for me on the Mac. I agree that it might be a little more tinny than r/w (depending on your exact audio config on the computer and in the real life airplane), but even with that, I'd argue it's a lot closer than the clean audio was.
I'm really sorry, Keith. As one of your older clients (in both ways!), it was never my intention to hijack anything. I just suggested that Mike could revert, if he was having trouble, until (if there was a bug) things got fixed, or now can try the fix you suggested. The iMac does have excellent audio output through its own speakers, or a good headset - and even better with a Bose computer sound system :-)

I did add my thoughts, but pointed out that I was possibly in a minority on this. I am heartened to see that you will be considering the option to disable the filtering and, perhaps, tweak the filtered sound.