Cleared Direct Albuquerque - Resume the Departure/Own Nav?

Torbinator

Cleared Direct Albuquerque - Resume the Departure/Own Nav?

Post by Torbinator »

Hello everyone,

On the evening of 8/3/2018 I was cleared for takeoff out of KABQ. I turned left to 290º while flying the LARGO3 departure, Zuni transition. As I rolled out on 290º, I was told "Clipper 576, cleared direct Albuquerque". I flew direct to ABQ, and as I was within 3 nm I thought I might ask for further instruction. I did not, and within a few minutes after passing ABQ, the controller advised me I was 10 NM south of course (the Zuni transition is 255º outbound from ABQ to ZUN). I responded explaining I was cleared direct ABQ, and had not received any further routing. He responded telling me it was implied I would resume own navigation once hitting ABQ, then he re-vectored me.

I am under the impression that I should wait for ATC to tell me "upon reaching ABQ, resume the Largo3 departure". I feel like other controllers have used this instruction on similar situations in the past.

Thanks for any clarification you can give.
Keith Smith

Re: Cleared Direct Albuquerque - Resume the Departure/Own Na

Post by Keith Smith »

Since ABQ is part of the SID, it makes sense to continue with the ZUN transition from there.

Cleared direct ABQ is not changing your clnc limit, it's just a routing directive.
kullery

Post by kullery »

:oops: “arousing directive”....... that sounds like fun
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
jx_

Post by jx_ »

ATC are only required to use the "resume..." phraseology after you have been established on pilot nav and are removed from it then put back on. (and most DPs give the expect to resume instruction in the text)

The rule is pretty simple...

1) if the point is on/along your cleared route, always join your route from that point, you have a clearance to do so that was never canceled or amended.

There is never a case to do otherwise without a verbal change in route or clearance limit. The words "Cleared direct XXX" amend your route to read present position direct XXX... but nothing else is changed.

2) if the point is not on your route or any previous clearance you've received, ask well ahead of time what to do after the fix. You don't have a clearance to go anywhere else.

3) if you are pulled off of own nav, the controller should give a reason for pulling you off in conjunction with an expect to resume such as 'expect direct ABQ'. The two can be combined such as 'vector for ABQ' (reason: shortcut to ABQ; expect to resume: direct ABQ.cleared route). Once you receive the final instruction you should hear 'resume own nav', 'resume the XXX departure', or 'fly heading XXX, when able proceed direct ABQ'. If you don't...resume own nav anyway!

4) When in doubt, always think about your most recent clearance!!! In your example you were cleared LARGO3 departure, ZUNI transition. That starts from ABQ and the controller cleared you direct ABQ..... That cancels all of the instructions on the DP prior to ABQ but changes nothing after.

5) what changes a clearance?

"Cleared to" (changes clearance limit)
"Cleared via" (changes entire routing)
"Cleared direct XXX" (overwrites present position up to XXX fix)
"Change [routing] to read [new routing]" (overwrites [routing] stated)
"Cleared Largo3 departure ZUNI transition" (overwrites all routing between departure airport and ZUNI)
"Cleared XXX arrival" (overwrites all routing from common point to destination airport)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

kullery wrote::oops: “arousing directive”....... that sounds like fun
gotta love the autocorrect. Fixed it :)