AI traffic model matching etc

Wrongway78

AI traffic model matching etc

Post by Wrongway78 »

I recently came back to PE after an extended time away. I am having problems with one part of the setup that I’ve never really understood: MODEL MATCHING for AI traffic. My inability to appropriately configure this has led to some screwy results like CRJs floating above KAVX or in the pattern.

I used to have MyTraffic 5.2 and believe PE pulled from that database to produce AI models. I don’t see that MT5.2 is compatable with P3D 4.3 and have not yet reinstalled. I suppose I’ll give it a try when I get home from work (lol, I’m a Navy air traffic controller).

But when setting up the client it asked me for the default model and would only accept the CRJ. I played with the model matching rule sets and don’t know what I’m doing.

I did search this forum for help, but didn’t find much. Any advice, fellas?
Scott Medeiros

Re: AI traffic model matching etc

Post by Scott Medeiros »

I believe model matching is currently being refined behind the scenes. Until then you can update your default model by going into PilotEdge client settings, under Model Matching. The Default Model should be filled in with the exact aircraft title from the aircraft.cfg file found in Sim Objects>Airplanes>Desired aircraft model folder. That title must match exactly or else the client says it's unrecognized.

To create a custom rule set for model matching...
1. Open Windows Notepad
2. Copy/Paste the following lines into notepad...
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ModelMatchRuleSet>
</ModelMatchRuleSet>
3. Custom rules go between <ModelMatchRuleSet> and </ModelMatchRuleSet>
4. Rules must be formatted as
<ModelMatchRule TypeCode="BE55" ModelName="Beech Baron 58 Paint1//Beech Baron 58 Paint2" />
TypeCode is the ICAO code for other aircraft
ModelName is aircraft installed in your sim that you'd like TypeCode to match to. In order to have the software select various paintjobs randomly, separate each ModelName by // (no spaces). This ModelName must match exactly as the "title=" in the aircraft.cfg file.
5. Save as file type "all files" with a file name of anything_you_want.XML. While the name isn't important, the .xml is very important to establishing the file type so it can be read by the Pilot Client.
6. Once you are finished creating your file, add it to your list of rule sets by pressing the Add Custom File(s) button on the Model Matching tab in the Settings window.

The thing I've noticed is that other users MUST remember to enter the proper aircraft type code and airline code when logging into the PE network or else it'll just search from something close, or just go to your default model. IE you see a CRJ at KAVX instead of a DA62.

You can see what models the client is searching for by right clicking the PE client icon in the task menu, going to advanced, and aircraft. You'll be able to see what aircraft is missing a model match, and being made default. I had an issue with BE55 Barons showing up as a KingAir, and using the custom rules above I forced it to model BE55s as FSX default BE58s. Having multiple model names (Paint1,Paint2) allows the client to randomize liveries for more realistic variation.