Reporting midfield when its busy

tbaac

Reporting midfield when its busy

Post by tbaac »

Hi
Came back to PE again after having a membership for a while previously but not really flying. This time I'm having much more fun, thanks.

I wondered about pattern work when the radio is busy.
If I'm due to report midfield and there is a conversation on the radio at the time, what is the best thing to do?
Should I continue on downwind until I get landing/option clearance?

Also, my transponder switch has positions for Off, Standby, On and Alt.
I think it should be set to Alt when on the runway and in the air.
Which setting to use whilst taxiing? On or just Standby?

Thanks.
zerofay32

Re: Reporting midfield when its busy

Post by zerofay32 »

For pattern work, continue the traffic pattern until you can get a word in and just report your actual position (i.g. "N123AB abeam the numbers, touch and go" or "N123AB turning final, full stop") Also it may help to extend your downwind slightly but no need to make it excessive. If by some chance of bad luck you still cant get a call in, don't land but just go around for another circuit and inform the tower when you get a chance.

The AIM has recommended that pilots have the transponder in ALT at all times for several years now. This also makes it easy because you then don't have to remember which airports have ground surveillance systems that require it to be in this mode.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
tbaac

Post by tbaac »

Thanks for the reply zerofay32.

I did the CAT3 yesterday and on the 3rd lap I was due to report midfield and as it was busy I had turned onto base by the time I'd reported in to the controller.
I suppose that you don't need clearance to turn onto base, so as it happened it wasn't the end of the world, but I thought about it afterwards and realised if I'd not been able to get clearance whilst on base then I might have had nowhere to go.

Thanks for that about the transponders, good to know.
jx_

Post by jx_ »

the pattern instruction you received permits you to turn base. It is the controller's responsibility to amend the instructions if there is a conflict. However, if you alter or extend your pattern at all, you take responsibility. ;)
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Just to add to what Joe said (which is 100% accurate) if you still can't get a word in, go around.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS