PDC's

FDXDave

PDC's

Post by FDXDave »

Interesting enough after taking to a RW Airline pilot i was advised that these days most pilots are given a PDC. Apparently Foreflight now supports this as well. So even a 172 can get one at a busy airport.

My preference is voice. But i was thinking about the events we have. That instead of reading the entire clearance over the radio over and over again to a bunch of us waiting that a simple PM would be fast.

I don't think the client has text available. So just thinking outloud.

Dave
Kevin_atc

Re: PDC's

Post by Kevin_atc »

PDCs are definitely “on the list” of development items for the network- it has been on the list for quite some time. It would certainly reduce the workload/transmissions for the controllers. However, for new pilots it’s obviously very important to get used to copying down a clearance via voice which is probably why it hasn’t been much of a priority development item.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

kevin meyers wrote:PDCs are definitely “on the list” of development items for the network- it has been on the list for quite some time. It would certainly reduce the workload/transmissions for the controllers. However, for new pilots it’s obviously very important to get used to copying down a clearance via voice which is probably why it hasn’t been much of a priority development item.
I totally agree. For training purposes voice all the way.
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

and our society is again coming up with another way to not have to interface with other human beings. texting - the wave of the future.

pretty soon we as humans will no longer need our voices. just text everything.

"alexa, turn on...." oh wait, can't do that anymore. where's my damn phone?

(texting alexa and telling her to turn on the garbage disposal)

ps... don't text me, I won't respond!
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

RogerW wrote:and our society is again coming up with another way to not have to interface with other human beings. texting - the wave of the future.

pretty soon we as humans will no longer need our voices. just text everything.

"alexa, turn on...." oh wait, can't do that anymore. where's my damn phone?

(texting alexa and telling her to turn on the garbage disposal)

ps... don't text me, I won't respond!
That’s more true than you think with aviation. Datacom (or CPDLC as the pilots know it) is already being rolled out in some towers and centers across the nation. This will allow controllers to issue instructions directly to the airplanes via their FMS. The pilot will then acknowledge the instruction and the plane will execute it. No voice transmissions will be necessary. This is going to be a huge game changer and will significantly reduce the amount of radio chatter on center frequencies.

And before you ask, no don’t expect PE to implement this any time soon because like PDCs, there’s very little value in a PE customer just clicking around to acknowledge things rather than utilizing their listening and speaking skills. Not to mention this technology isn’t coming to small GA any time in the distant future.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord