VHF distortion: What if controller is not readable?

Thomas_Horn

VHF distortion: What if controller is not readable?

Post by Thomas_Horn »

I have a question on how to behave on the radio, when the controller is not understandable due to the new VHF distortion.
I experienced this several times: Either with the active frequency, and the controller tells me to switch to a new frequency - but I simply cannot read him.
Or after switching to the new frequency as told by AT, and the new frequency is not/hardly understandable in some cases. Often I cannot see the rationale behind the distortion: for me it seems that I should be well in range (say, I am talking to departure near the airport), but still can hardly read the controller.

I just want to emphasize that my headset works fine, since 95% of the time I have no problems communicating with ATC. I am not a native English speaker, so for me it is even harder to understand heavily distorted radio communication.

Thanks for clarifying.

Thomas
X-Plane 11.32, Windows 10, 4.8 GHz 7700K, 16 GB RAM. 4K 55'' Screen resolution with Nvidia GTX 1070. ELITE and PFC flight controls
Brandon Grchan

Re: VHF distortion: What if controller is not readable?

Post by Brandon Grchan »

The best thing to do is to tell ATC and they will assign you a frequency that is on a repeater that is closer to you. If you cannot hear the controller at all, then return to your previously issued freq or try guard on 121.5 and someone will certainly answer you. In 95% of the cases you are probably too low/far away from the repeater, which is a fairly common occurrence in reality and is why a lot of combined sectors must work multiple freqs.

If there is a case were you believe that you should be clearly hearing the controller and you don't, then report it to ATC or support@pilotedge.net and they will look into it for you. For example you depart KSLC and you cannot hear the departure controller or they are very weak and broken immediately upon departure.
Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

It’s likely an issue with COM2 being selected to receive (or whatever your backup radio happens to be). Whenever you experience this issue, ensure you are only monitoring ONE radio frequency. If you you are monitoring 2 frequencies, then it’s possible that the static sound is coming from a far away transmitter on your backup radio. Either turn off the radio you aren’t using, or switch it to 122.8 (a common Unicom frewuency) or something of the sort.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Thomas_Horn

Post by Thomas_Horn »

kevin meyers wrote:It’s likely an issue with COM2 being selected to receive (or whatever your backup radio happens to be).
I dont´think so since I use COM2 only for the ATIS frequencies. But I will give it a try and keep it on 122.8 as proposed.

Thanks guys! :)
X-Plane 11.32, Windows 10, 4.8 GHz 7700K, 16 GB RAM. 4K 55'' Screen resolution with Nvidia GTX 1070. ELITE and PFC flight controls
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Often I cannot see the rationale behind the distortion: for me it seems that I should be well in range
If you experience this again, take note of your exact position, altitude, COM1 and COM2 freqs, and COM1/COM2 RX settings on the audio panel and post them here or send to support@pilotedge.net.

In 100% of the cases that have been reported so far, as Kevin suggested above (he experienced this himself as a pilot on the network), the issue is that you have COM2 tuned to another freq which happens to be an ATC frequency in a far off location that you are just barely receiving.
Thomas_Horn

Post by Thomas_Horn »

...Yeah, I tried yesterday with the UNICOM frequency 122.8 on COM2 and did not experience any unusual VHF distortion. Case solved! :D
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Very good. Another option is to configure the audio panel so that COM2 is not selected for receiving.