after landing

DocRad

after landing

Post by DocRad »

Hello Y'all, I'm new to this forum stuff but I have a question to PE and Keith. First the Controllers at PE are outstanding in their jobs here. I was just wondering however, that many times after clearing a runway, the Tower Controller does not tell me to contact Ground Control after I clear the runway as is done in the Non Sim world. On PE I times this out once and sat for 5 minutes before asking for taxi to the gate. Obviously I can make a call to "rattle the cage" politely. I am sure I do not fully understand the technical constraints that exist for the Controllers at PE, but is there an explanation for this? THANK YOU for the GREAT JOB you all do! DocRad
Kevin_atc

Re: Controllers on PE seem late to switch us to Ground after

Post by Kevin_atc »

DocRad wrote:Hello Y'all, I'm new to this forum stuff but I have a question to PE and Keith. First the Controllers at PE are outstanding in their jobs here. I was just wondering however, that many times after clearing a runway, the Tower Controller does not tell me to contact Ground Control after I clear the runway as is done in the Non Sim world. On PE I times this out once and sat for 5 minutes before asking for taxi to the gate. Obviously I can make a call to "rattle the cage" politely. I am sure I do not fully understand the technical constraints that exist for the Controllers at PE, but is there an explanation for this? THANK YOU for the GREAT JOB you all do! DocRad
This is just due to the fact that the controllers aren't paying attention to you 100% of the time since they are controlling 40 different towers. If you exit the runway and come to a stop, just prompt the tower "Tower, N123 is off at Charlie." Don't switch to ground on your own.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Re: after landing

Post by Keith Smith »

I split this into its own topic...

To provide a bit more detail, you have the tower controller's full attention at the time they issue your landing clearance. After that, though, they may need to move their scope view(s) to other airports within the coverage area. This is why it's so common to not hear much after you land, whereas in the real world, a tower controller is working a single airport (by definition), and has their eyes glue to the runway environment much of the time.

Not to worry, simply advise the controller once you're clear of the runway, or as you're approaching the exit of your choice, "tower, N123AB, exiting on Bravo for Signature."

They'll issue the taxi instruction and have you remain on freq, monitor ground, or in cases where ground is separately staffed, they'll have you hold position and contact ground.