"or report ifr cancellation on the missed"..

sono

"or report ifr cancellation on the missed"..

Post by sono »

I am familiar with the standard procedure of cancelling ifr, but have a question about cancelling on the missed approach

I have heard controllers issue this instruction a couple of times on the network.

I have a couple of questions on this

1. If you are in IMC on the missed .. then on the assumption that you have gone missed because you are not visual with the airport , why would you cancel ifr at this critical time (or in that case does this not apply) ?

2. if you are vmc but flying a visual approach under IFR - in which case you might go missed if there was something on the runway or an unstable approach etc - in which case is the assumption behind cancel that you will fly a VFR circuit to come back around and try again?

I am instrument rated from another country and this is not something I have come across before in any training. If this is covered in the aim would be very grateful for a reference to this specific point.

Thank you
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument
zerofay32

Re: "or report ifr cancellation on the missed"..

Post by zerofay32 »

Are you sure they are not saying "report IFR cancellation or the missed"?
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

sono wrote: 2. if you are vmc but flying a visual approach under IFR - in which case you might go missed if there was something on the runway or an unstable approach etc - in which case is the assumption behind cancel that you will fly a VFR circuit to come back around and try again?
As zerofay stated, I think you’re mishearing it. They’re likely saying “or” not “on” but it’s one of those annoying spiels that has to be said every time so we just run through it quickly and it may get jumbled up as it comes out.

As far as your second question, as you identify there is no missed approach for a visual approach so if you have to go around, you would just remain in the pattern. I would imagine that if a pilot isn’t willing to cancel IFR prior to the frequency change the first time, then the pilot likely won’t be tuning ATC back up as they join the traffic pattern after a go-around. In this case, there is no need to inform ATC that you went around. Simply fly the pattern, land, then cancel as soon as practical.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
sono

Post by sono »

Thank you zerofay32 and Kevin. Mishearing "or" as "on" explains it nicely..
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument