No Radar Environment

zaruthoj

No Radar Environment

Post by zaruthoj »

I'd like to experience IFR flight in a non radar environment. Is there a good way to do this on PE? Should I just call up from a random airport and request simulated radar coverage loss?
Keith Smith

Re: No Radar Environment

Post by Keith Smith »

Helena is a non-radar tracon...try flying in or out of there.
zaruthoj

Post by zaruthoj »

Sorry, I should have specified-- I only have the ZLA subscription. Would it work to just ask for a simulated radar failure when I call up clearance delivery?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Which part of the flight is the most valuable for you to experience under non-radar? If it's the assignment of a full approach vs vectors to final, that's fine, you can absolutely request that. Beyond that, I'm not sure what they'll be able to simulate for you.
zaruthoj

Post by zaruthoj »

I'd like to see what it's like to fly airways and approaches with normal position reporting.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Since there are no compulsory reporting points on the low enroute chart (at least none that I can see at a glance), it's somewhat of a moot point. My guess is our ZLA controllers aren't well-versed in non-radar enroute because it simply doesn't happen in our environment. You can ask for it, but I can't guarantee a particular result or level of service. Understand that it's pretty far out of the bounds of normal ops for this environment.